FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash in footage issue

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Fulton
Flash in footage issue
on Dec 30, 2017 at 2:14:43 pm

Hi,

I was filming a friends wedding earlier this year using a Canon 70D, filming at 1920x1080 24fps while using 1/50 shutter speed, 2.8 light for my 50mm lens and around 800iso as were inside.

My issue came when the bride and groom came into the room that was hosting the evening event. There were two photographers that were snapping away and capturing the cake cutting and first dance moments. I'd noticed that while I was filming all this there were loads of flash lines that were appearing on my dslr screen. I didn't think much of it which was a mistake. Obviously when I got the footage back to prepost all the lines where strong and visible.

I've attached a photo of what I mean however if you need more please say.

I'm wondering if anyone might have any advice on how to either reduce this or eliminate it completely as I have another wedding next year to film and I'd like to be aware of what I'm dealing with.

Many thanks and happy new year!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Flash in footage issue
on Dec 30, 2017 at 6:53:31 pm

Well Bryan, not a real mystery there...

This is a really common problem anytime you're shooting around flash photography, and unfortunately it's just the nature of the beast. There's nothing wrong with your camera, and you're not doing anything wrong yourself either.
What you are seeing is the "rolling shutter" effect, because your camera does not expose the entire frame at once, but rather from top to bottom, it's catching the part of the flash while the frame is being exposed in the upper half.

Your camera is a rolling-shutter camera and there's no changing that, obviously. The best solution would be to switch to a "global shutter" camera... which exposes the entire frame at once, rather than top to bottom. You'd still get the flashes, but they would cover the entire frame, which does look a bit more natural. Unfortunately global-shutter cameras are much rarer, and tend to be higher-end (i.e., more expensive) cameras.

The only other solution I could think of would be to try shooting at a much higher shutter speed. That wouldn't eliminate the problem, but it might reduce it. When you see the flashes they will still only cover a part of the frame like that, but you might see fewer of them since the higher shutter speed would reduce the odds of the flashes happening during the time the shutter is open. The downsides to that though are pretty obvious... you might be shooting in darker situations that wouldn't allow for higher shutter speeds... AND everything would get that staccato "narrow shutter" look that might make your wedding reception look more like an action movie (and probably not a desired effect at all).

I think the only real solution is to use a different camera.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Fulton
Re: Flash in footage issue
on Dec 30, 2017 at 7:18:15 pm

Thank you, I'll try this method if shooting up close. That definitely sheds more information on what's going on. Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]