FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with brand new Canon XA 30

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaime Espinoza
Problem with brand new Canon XA 30
on Dec 30, 2017 at 12:41:56 am

Hello everybody:

I purchased a Canon XA 30 HD Camcorder around 20 days ago, and today i did my first demo recordings. I transferred the files using the data import utility downloaded from the Canon website to my PC. When viewing them with the media player i notice that the quality is not as i expected. It is not bad, but it could have a little bit more definition. I transferred the files using the USB cable. since my PC has not a card reader. I have a GeForce 6 Gb video card, so i think it is not because of lack in video memory. I viewed the files using the MPC-HC Player. I don't know if it's because of the USB transfer that it loses some quality, My monitor is connected via HDMI to the video card, so i don't think that could be the problem either. I made the demo recordings in 29.97 fps in mp4.

I was thinking of buying a HDMI capture card so that i can use the HDMI port of the camera to record the video, but i don't know if it's worth the try.

Anyone has had this particular issue with this camcorder?

Thanks in advance for your help

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Problem with brand new Canon XA 30
on Dec 30, 2017 at 1:23:46 am

Jaime could you post a short clip to help us understand what you are seeing and what you feel is wrong with it? I've not used this particular camera but have used a number of other similar Canon video cameras like it. One thing I can say is that most of these like lots of light. They do best in brighter days outside. They are good inside for well lit interiors. I have used them for well lit stage shows and they are pretty good.

So if you post something, a short clip maybe one or two scenes that highlight your concerns we might be able to give you some decent feedback.

Al

Return to posts index

Jaime Espinoza
on Dec 30, 2017 at 2:29:16 am

Dear Al:

Thank you for your response. I upload a 9 sec clip in order to have you take a look at it. I notice when i watch the scene on my PC monitor that there are some strange blurry parts when the dog moves specially in the black part of the fur. Strangely i made another test connecting the camcorder directly to my television screen using the HDMI output and the problem dissappears. Maybe it's something with my PC monitor. My monitor and television screen are both HD capable. Nevertheless take a look at the clip i'm uploading and give me your opinion.

Regards

Jaime

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 30, 2017 at 1:44:03 pm

I think you mean compression artifacts. Did you try shooting AVCHD?

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Jaime Espinoza
on Dec 30, 2017 at 2:23:59 pm

Good morning Bouke:

I will record a short clip in AVCHD and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks for your recommendation.

Regards

Jaime

Return to posts index

Jaime Espinoza
on Dec 30, 2017 at 5:09:54 pm

Hello Bouke:

I shot 2 clips in AVCHD mode, the first one using 29.97 fps and the second using 59.94 p. The second one when viewed in my pc looked a little bit better than the first one. Maybe the problem was that i was recording in mp4 mode. I will keep using AVCHD mode, i don't have a problem importing this format when using my editing software.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Jaime

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 30, 2017 at 7:50:43 pm

Sorry Jaime.did I miss your upload? I don’t see it here. it shouldn’t necessarily matter whether you’re an MP4 or whether you are in AVC HD there’s not a whole lot of difference between the two. They’re both envelopes to hold the bits. you could just as easily transcode either them into some other envelope to hold them.

Al

Return to posts index

Jaime Espinoza
on Dec 30, 2017 at 9:10:18 pm

Hello Al:

i did upload a 9 seconds file named test recording. Did i upload it wrong?

Here is the link: https://f1.creativecow.net/file/12023/12023_testrecording.mp4.zip

I was also searching in the web, and saw something about the SD cards used, i'm using a SDHC class 10 32 Gb card, but i read that the SDXC cards are better. What do you think?

Regards

Jaime

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 30, 2017 at 11:26:55 pm

Jamie, that very short clip viewed on my iPhone at least seem very much like what I would expect from that camera . To get a real sense of the ability of the camera you might shoot a series of situations on a tripod and perhaps get a color chart to work with .

Al

Return to posts index

Jaime Espinoza
on Dec 31, 2017 at 2:11:28 am

Hello Al:

Thanks for your response. I'm going to do as you suggest, indeed that strange issue happens only when viewed on the computer monitor but not on my TV screen, it might be that some adjustments have to be done on the computer monitor, or maybe the media player i'm using has to be tweaked a bit.

I will also use the camera in manual mode so that i can make adjustments on the exposure and aperture controls.

Regards

Jaime

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]