FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C-Series Auto ISO Feature

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Ballain
Canon C-Series Auto ISO Feature
on Nov 15, 2017 at 6:30:36 pm

I'm curious as to how many of you that own a Canon C-Series (100, 200, 300, 500, 700) would use an Auto ISO feature when shooting if it were available. I just upgraded from a 5D MIII to a Canon C-200 and find I'm missing the Auto ISO option as I used it a ton when shooting run and gun with the Mark III. I have the ISO / Gain option set to a dial so I can change quickly, but I find I'm adjusting a ton when shooting outdoors going from sunlight to shadows and then potentially inside. This camera has Auto Iris, Auto WB (which I NEVER use) and Auto Focus (DPAF is truly amazing on the C200!) but no Auto ISO. I don't see why this couldn't be easily added and say cap the auto function to ISO 1600 for example. Even GoPro's have that feature. I wouldn't use it all the time but it sure would be nice to have when shooting in quickly changing lightening conditions. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon C-Series Auto ISO Feature
on Nov 15, 2017 at 8:02:50 pm

[Paul Ballain] "I'm curious as to how many of you that own a Canon C-Series (100, 200, 300, 500, 700) would use an Auto ISO feature when shooting if it were available."

As for me I would say "never," or maybe "virtually never." But then again, I'm a very old-school DP and personally never ever shoot auto-anything, and would probably not even know how to hold a camera if my hand wasn't on a focus handwheel. Probably a good thing I've always shot that way, since my C300PL doesn't really have any auto features at all (that I am aware of).

I can see how some people might use it, though.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Paul Ballain
Re: Canon C-Series Auto ISO Feature
on Nov 15, 2017 at 10:15:05 pm

Thanks Todd for the reply. I agree, I don't shoot "auto" for most everything else but have always appreciated auto ISO when shooting in rapidly changing lightening conditions. It's strange they include "auto iris" and "auto white balance" (which I think you should NEVER shoot with!) but no auto ISO. I know the word "auto" is a bad word in the world of video but some of the features make life a lot easier in certain situations. The Dual Pixel Auto Focus of the C200 is a thing of beauty! After using it, I don't know how I lived without it. I love to use it to gain quick, accurate focus, and then switch to one-touch autofocus for manual control. The DPAF face-detection feature is a dream come true when shooting interviews! I can shoot very shallow and the focus stays exactly on the interviewee's face no matter how much they move.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]