FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C100 AVCHD file renaming / Avid workflow

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kinga Rup
Canon C100 AVCHD file renaming / Avid workflow
on May 30, 2017 at 12:47:01 pm

Hello,
I'd like to ask for san advice: I received footage from C100 Mk I camera (AVCHD). The DP told me she had transferred files performing the name change, but what I see on the portable drive are just individual folders (Day1, Day2 etc..) with the same filenames inside (0001, 0002 etc.).
Can I just batch rename those files (in Prelude CC or FreeCommander) without causing any harm for future conforming? Or the metadata will make conforming impossible later on anyways? Should the file transfer from the camera be corrected?
I'm looking for the correct workflow in this case

Thanks so much in advance!

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: Canon C100 AVCHD file renaming / Avid workflow
on Jun 1, 2017 at 12:19:24 pm

Don't know which version of Avid you're using. I'm using an older version, version 6. Link and Transcode iswhat I do for AVCHD files. You can probably do a search on the Avid forums for "Link and Transcode" to get more information.

In version 6, I use "AMA Link to Volume". The other choice is AMA link to individual files. I choose Link to Volume because that way, MC will automatically join any spanned clips.

Hopefully, the person giving you the files maintained the structure, all the way down to STREAM, which is where you would go to link to individual files. In your case, the volume would be Day 1. Next volume Day 2 etc.

So, AMA Link to your first volume of AVCHD files. You should see them in a new bin. What I do, is choose all the linked files, then Transcode (be careful not to choose Consolidate) them to the format I want, usually DNxHD 145. Then I create another new bin named "Camera Files Day 1". Next, move the Transcoded files to Camera Files Day 1.

AMA link to your next volume. Repeat the Transcode process. New bin "Camera Files Day 2"

I used to rename imported files. I avoid renaming AVCHD files. Ran into trouble when going back to old projects. Instead, I name the bins, leaving original file names intact. But I do add a column in my bins for Shoot Date or put the date in the Comments field.

I also leave directory structures intact on my original media drives (separate from my Avid Media Drives).

The Link to Volume and Transcode process will become clear to you once you do it a few times. It's much faster than trying to import files and avoids spanned clip issues.

I transcode before starting editing. Some people edit then Transcode an edited sequence later. It's quicker for me to just let the PC transcode everything first while I go get a cup of coffee, or lunch, if it's a lot of files.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]