FORUMS: list search recent posts

capturing HV30 (preferably directly into Avid) with no FIREWIRE PORT

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Carr
capturing HV30 (preferably directly into Avid) with no FIREWIRE PORT
on May 12, 2017 at 9:12:22 pm

I use Canon HV30, nothing else.

I cut on Avid (MC 8), sometimes Premiere/FCP.

I am looking for a small laptop to do remote editing, but none of the capable ones (Razer etc) have firewire 400/800 ports for capture/deck control of the HV30 into Avid.

What are my options?

1) If only HDMI out from the camera to the laptop's HDMI port, what interface/software is needed? Blackmagic intensity etc? I assume if this is the route, I'm left with "raw" files that I can import or convert for import into Avid (and not capture)

2) is it possible to daisy chain a camera firewire> firewire TO hdmi/USB adapter> to laptop hdmi/usb port for deck control and capture?

thank you.

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: capturing HV30 (preferably directly into Avid) with no FIREWIRE PORT
on May 15, 2017 at 12:13:57 pm

The HDMI ports on the laptop are out, like for attaching to a television, only. There are some HDMI to USB3 converters that will allow plugging HDMI port from a camera into a USB3 port on the computer. But I don't think there is any software made by anyone, certainly not Avid, that will control the HV-30.

The other option is firewire cards for the expansion port on the laptop. You can probably find a few still for sale online. Might work, but might not.

By the way, great little camera, used to have two of them with two XH-A1 cameras. Always used HDV Split to capture from cameras then fast imported into Avid.

Have since upgraded to card based cameras.

Roger

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
Re: capturing HV30 (preferably directly into Avid) with no FIREWIRE PORT
on May 15, 2017 at 12:19:17 pm

But I don't think there is any software made by anyone, certainly not Avid, that will control the HV-30 should have "other than by firewire" at the end of the sentence.

I repeat, the HDMI ports on laptops are video OUT only.

Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]