FORUMS: list search recent posts

XF300 (and others) Image Stablization Question

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gutermuth
XF300 (and others) Image Stablization Question
on Apr 25, 2017 at 12:52:44 pm

Hi All,

Ok, so I have a few of the Canon XF300 cameras - My question is about the different IS modes, and this may apply to the other XF cameras too, but

These cameras have 3 different IS modes. 1) Regular IS 2) Dynamic IS 3) Powered IS

I shoot mostly on a tripod, and of course the manual says turn it off when doing so, but I find that I get some subtle shake, esp when zoomed past 1/2 way.

When I turn on the IS, esp powered, if I pan on stationary objects, I seem to get more noticeable blur and then it sharpens back up when I stop... (manual Focus)

The issue doesn't totally go away when IS is off, but it is better. - Does one IS mode introduce this problem less than the others? what is the difference between these? Powered I can see would be mostly suited for Hand Held work... but how about the other 2?

I guess what I wanted to know was how to solve this problem. Is this a rolling shutter situation? - I am coming from the XL-H1s cameras that didn't have this issue, and I used IS on tripods all the time, and the pans looked a lot better.

or is this a function/problem with using IS on these cameras -

Is there a filter I can add in post to correct this? - I shoot in 1080i also.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great - I'm using decent tripods, newer style units with the nice heads that counter balance, etc (Benro) I think the subtle shakes are caused by me and my hands when making adjustments on the fly, etc.

Thanks in advance :-)

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: XF300 (and others) Image Stablization Question
on May 22, 2017 at 2:23:00 am

Out of curiosity. Why are you shooting in 1080i? Have you done any testing with shooting the same footage in both 1080p and 1080i to see if the interlacing is somehow affecting your shot when panning? You also don't mention what shutter speed you are setting. For example, if you were shooting from an airplane you would want a much faster shutter speed, perhaps 60p to help reduce shake.

Also, the manual has some clarification on IS types . see page 62

Al

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on May 22, 2017 at 12:20:32 pm

Hi,

First, 1080i is the only option for 50mps and 4:2:2 with the xf300 as far as I know. Yes, I'm at 1/60th - need to be since anything past +6 in these cameras adds too much noise in my opinion, and some places the lighting is just horrible. - Old Middle schools with 1960's tech - 8 par 60's and 1/2 don't work - to light the whole stage - horrible. - anyways.

But, also I find that in past experience, when I downscale interlaced footage, it looks better overall. I have still a large demand for DVD's - Once that wanes, and everyone transitions to thumbdrives, I will look at using Progressive for all the cameras, and heck, by then, I'll be in 4K all around Im sure.

I think the problem has to do with the tech itself - rolling shutter with the CMOS sensors, vs my old XlH1s that used the older CCD type sensor... never had this problem per se, even with the IS on.

I played with using the first one - the stock IS (standard they call it) - and looks like that is the best trade off... The powered is great of course, but noticeable smear for sure... esp when panning too fast. I know that is meant for Handheld use.

The manual doesn't really explain anything clearly - basically it says "don't use IS when on a tripod". I understand the Powered IS - but nowhere does it really explain Dynamic vs Standard very well - but I was really looking for real use examples too...

BTW I am using the latest firmware on the xf300 - but no 1080P option for 4:2:2

Thanks

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 22, 2017 at 6:27:23 pm

Check your manual. I shoot 1080p in 4:2:2 all the time at 30p and 24p. You'll get an extra stop or so of light by dropping down to those frame rates. might help you with your need for more light.

I have done tons of DVDs using 1080p. Never had an issue. Always looked great especially on computers. I can't help you out since I have never shot 1080i.

Yes, the CCDs were nice. Odd that you find 1080i better.

Al

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 22, 2017 at 6:33:50 pm

From http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/canon_xf305_xf300.d...
Three Image Stabilization modes for stable handheld footage
An Optical Image Stabilization system is used in all Canon professional camcorders, but the new XF-series now features three Image Stabilization modes for different shooting conditions - Standard, Dynamic, and Powered. The Dynamic IS mode builds on the power of the Standard mode, and is specifically designed to counteract walking motion for steadier HD shots. The Powered IS mode uses technology adopted from Canon binoculars, and steadies an image at the telephoto end of the zoom by counteracting shake when the Powered IS button is pressed. This mode is recommended for steady shots, but not for panning.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]