FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wildlife photography tips

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Belle
Wildlife photography tips
on Apr 7, 2017 at 11:37:06 am

I’m going to Longleat zoo and am looking to rent a telephoto lense for close up of the animals. This is the lense im renting - a canon 100-400 f4.5, I currently have a 5d mk2. Is it also worth renting a 7D for the crop sensor and that little bit extra zoom? Will the f4.5 be low enough to shoot hand held at 400mm in less than perfect light with the 7d? Or should i stick with my 5D?

Search for canon 100-400 f4.5 on Fat Lama to find exact lens i'm writing.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Wildlife photography tips
on Apr 7, 2017 at 2:18:04 pm

[Adam Belle] " Is it also worth renting a 7D for the crop sensor and that little bit extra zoom?"

No, it's not, because it doesn't really get you anything. For example, a 200mm lens is a 200mm lens no matter what camera and sensor you are comparing it to. You might think you are getting a tighter zoom with the smaller sensor camera, but that's only because the sensor is just using a smaller portion of the image projected by the lens. The end result is the same as if you shot everything with the larger-sensor camera and just enlarged the image enough to match the field of view of the smaller one. It's definitely no reason to wag an extra camera body along.

[Adam Belle] "Will the f4.5 be low enough to shoot hand held at 400mm in less than perfect light with the 7d?"

Probably not. To shoot 400mm handheld you will need a pretty darn high shutter speed or your images will be blurry. So if you force a high shutter speed with a lens that slow in poor lighting, that's going to require a very high ISO for good exposures, and you are much more likely to get unacceptably grainy/noisy images. I think you'll at least need a tripod, monopod, sandbag, or other support.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]