FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there any way to import footage shot in PF24 so that it comes as 23.98?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Is there any way to import footage shot in PF24 so that it comes as 23.98?
on Feb 25, 2017 at 1:06:02 am

I have footage from an XA-10 that I accidentally shot in PF24 instead of 24P. When I import it on FCP 7, no matter whether I have the "remove pulldown" preference checked or not, it comes in as 29.97. If I'm not mistaken, PF24 is shot at 24 fps and then converted to 60i. That being the case, is there anyway to import it a 23.98 or am i stuck here? I don't want to import at 29.97 and then convert it. That's defeating the purpose of trying not to have it look like it wa converted from 29.97.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Is there any way to import footage shot in PF24 so that it comes as 23.98?
on Feb 27, 2017 at 7:43:12 pm

There's no way to import it as native 23.976. If I remember correctly from my FCP7 days, you have the option to run a 3:2 pulldown on the sequence when you create it, so that it correctly reads the PF24 frames and shows up correctly. You also might be able to transcode it with CinemaTools, which I used to do, too. Or it might be that you edit at 60i and then the 3:2 pulldown happens on final export to a 23.976 file. I haven't used FCP7 in nearly six years now, so I'm having trouble remembering how that workflow used to go. The bottom line, though, is that you import to a sequence at the native framerate and apply a 3:2 pulldown either to the sequence or to the export.

Frankly, you'd be best off looking up Canon's recommendations for an XA10 PF24 workflow, and trying to implement it--most of the people around here have moved away from FCP7, and like me, will be too rusty to give good advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]