FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C100 Flickering Footage

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Taylor
Canon C100 Flickering Footage
on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:14:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm getting some subtle flickering from some of my C100 footage. It seems to show up in darker exposed images with a lot of detail. It shows up in the graded footage as well. Here is an example: https://vimeo.com/138110819

Shot with C100 mki
Canon 24-105mm
C-log
24p
180 degrees

Any ideas/feedback would help! It's quite ugly and distracting, and it doesn't make for a very clean image. Tends to happen more often in C-log.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon C100 Flickering Footage
on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:58:33 pm

Your Vimeo link is dead.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Josh Taylor
on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:59:55 pm

Link is back up - sorry!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 2, 2015 at 7:14:08 pm

Hmmm that's a tough one. I can't think of anything that would cause "flickering" especially when no artificial light sources are used... nor could I really see any flickering on the Vimeo clip. It looked pretty clean on this end.

A few questions that might help track it down, or at least find the point where this starts happening....

Are you able to see the flickering while shooting live?...either in the viewfinder, LCD screen, or an attached external monitor?

For footage that you know has flicker issues, do you see the flickering if the same camera raw files are viewed straight from the camera on an external monitor? Or is it only when you get to the post stage that it shows up?

You might also do an upload of a short original camera raw file that others and I might be able to download so we can take a better look at the real deal.

Not much help, I know, but I was not able to see the flickering here, so my ideas are limited....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Josh Taylor
on Sep 2, 2015 at 7:25:52 pm

Thanks for your input Todd!

The flickering I'm seeing is in the mid tones and is very subtle. It almost looks like noise or grain movement.

I didn't notice the flickering in the LCD while recording, although I am aware and have seen the LCD flicker that people talk about on the C100.

There seems to be the same amount of flickering in the .MTS file being played through quicktime as there is in Premiere CC. I'll play it through other sources and see if I notice the flickering there. It could be my MacBook. Maybe I'm going crazy!

Return to posts index

Steven Anderson
on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:46:26 pm

I found the same issue. One workaround I found that works pretty good is to go into the custom picture setting you're using (I use "CP9 Cinema" for most things and grade in post) and if there's a little 'key' icon next to it, scroll in the setting to where you see the option "protect" and change it to "unprotect". Now you'll have a few options and should see a "Noise Reduction" option that allows you to reduce the noise from 1-12 (by default noise reduction is set to off) I found setting it to "4" gave me much better results without compromising detail. (Cranking it to 12 may produce 'plastic-y' results.) Once you do that, you can "protect" the profile again.

Return to posts index

Quincy Berry
on Jun 23, 2017 at 8:25:39 am

wow! thank you for posting this, I was complaining about this last week in a different thread the c100 mk2 or gh5 thread

This is my second canon c100, I sold my other one but I still notice that problem, I called it a pulsing. and it was super annoying and I was bummed out. sold c100, 6 months later bought one again cause i missed the ease of use, but forgot about the "pulsing" and again was reminded and bummed out, I just spent the last 4 hours reading and installing some custom profiles but they were too drastic. I like the Wide DR just not the "pulsing" finally came across this after more key words and searching and your work around seems to work for me. I don't notice the pulsing and the image is still good for what I do. I set it to 5 and will do more experiments but it definitely made a difference, so thanks for posting this. Your post was very helpful because you actually typed out the steps on how to do it. Thumbs up!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]