FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XF100

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Rothstein
Canon XF100
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:02:37 pm

Has anybody had any experience shooting with this new CANON camera?
I just shot a small promo with the Canon 5D MachII and was terribly disappointed with the focus ability when trying to shoot a person merely walking to camera. I had read about this issue but rented it anyway. Big mistake. I'm trying to find another camera that is better for next time. Something with auto focus so I don't need a focus puller for small projects. I rented the Panasonic P2 on my last shoot and that was fine except for the log and transfer hassle.

Can anyone recommend this new XF100? Or any other reliable camera that I can buy in the $1800 range?

Thanks,

Ron

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
Re: Canon XF100
on Feb 28, 2011 at 1:11:26 am

Found little about this camera on the web, look's interesting, right price point for me, does anyone know how the 1 chip cmos, compares to a 3 chip ccd or canon's 3 comos cameras? Effective ISO of this camera? I'm looking for a traditional video camera to complement my Canon 7D.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

william eisley
on Mar 21, 2011 at 10:42:10 pm

I've had this camera in my hands for four days now (since 3/17) and it is IMPRESSIVE. It won't be as fast as the 7D, but it handles low light fairly well. The dynamic range and color are awesome (well beyond the 7D). Very little noise up to 6 db gain. The zoom range is really nice and starts out wider than most (35mm equivalent of 30-300mm approx.) It has infrared mode with an IR light, waveform monitor, peaking and 2x digital zoom for focus assist (the digi-zoom doesn't show up on the recording), intervelometer, 3 second pre-record, stop-motion frame recording with multiple settings from 1 to 12 frames, hot swappable CF card recording, XLRs with phantom power, overcranking, the lcd is fantastic. It has everything that most would want, but since it's so small (3 lbs) it's configuration is a little different and you have to dig thru menus for some features. Most of it's buttons are also customizable, which helps out.

I saw a review that said this is not a run and gun camera, but I disagree. It's pretty good in low light, but what makes the big difference is weight. It does a pretty good job in full auto as well. I think that a lot of people will be comparing this to the Sony ex1. I've shot a lot of footage with the ex1 and given the price difference, the canon is a much better bang for the buck. Given that the data rate is higher than the ex series without an external recording device, I'd probably pick the canon even if they were the same price.

Return to posts index

James Halterman
on Apr 5, 2017 at 7:18:41 pm

Why wouldn't you just pull focus yourself? It's not a beast of a camera, all you have to do is grab the focus ring and turn it to the right...presto!

TL;DR never use autofocus

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 5, 2017 at 8:52:41 pm

Well, it just seems that (I will say a little bit sadly) that it has become more and more an autofocus world... for anything other than really high-end stuff these days that more seems to be the norm... and expected.

Really good focus pulling is an art, and a dying one. I myself only shoot with cine lenses, so I have pulled focus my entire career and that's just what I am used to. If my hands are full and I can't pull focus, I have an AC do it... but I never use autofocus (and couldn't if I wanted to, with my lenses).

It takes years to get really great at focus pulling... the true masters can nail a moving subject with a one-inch depth of field... but there are not a lot of guys who can do that (I'm decent but certainly not that good at it).

It's all what you are used to, and skilled at. I usually shoot with a Canon C300 with PL mount lenses and a couple of weeks ago I borrowed a friend's C100 (with autofocus EF lenses) and the little bit that I played with it drove me absolutely crazy... because my hand kept reaching out for a focus wheel that wasn't there... I was just grabbing thin air. I'm sure if I shot with it for an extended period of time I'd get used to it, but it was very uncomfortable early on.

The bottom line is that great focusing is very difficult... and people are now relying more and more on cameras that do it for you, as long as they are good at it (and AF has gotten much better in just the last couple of years).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

James Halterman
on Apr 5, 2017 at 9:08:57 pm

That's all well and good, but this guy wasn't even asking about dealing with a cinema camera -- just a basic XF100 camcorder. I use 3-4 of these in multi-cam productions all the time. Each cam op is using them handheld to record concerts...i.e. very dynamic shooting that requires extensive zooms for close-ups and focus pulling.

For a Canon cinema camera, yeah, I can see the need for an accurate focus pull. But with those cameras you also get the luxury of lens selection and the preciseness that only comes with a controlled, multi-take, (usually) single-camera production environment. I mean, I wouldn't dare use a C-100 or a C-300 in my case because it's so above my budget for one, but also above my needs as a run-and-gun videographer.

But now we're entering a completely different topic; I just think it's weird that someone would actually consider needing a focus puller for a 3 lb. entry level camera haha. BE the focus puller...envision it in your mind. You can do it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]