Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Avid Media Composer 5.5 Academic Version

• Jeff Greenberg

June 29, 2011 at 11:44 am

The academic version doesn’t ship with the third party software (Squeeze, BCC, etc). Beyond that? It’s the same.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
    ————
    You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
    New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor’s Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
    Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
    (older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
    Contact me through my Website

• Larry Tempesta

June 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm

is there any upgrade limitations?

• Michael Hancock

June 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Do you qualify for the educational version? If you do, you get 4 years of free upgrades. I don’t know if you can upgrade to a non-educational license at any point, but you used to be able to. Might want to post on the Avid forums for clarity.

Unless it’s changed, the license agreement states that educational licenses can’t be used for commercial work, and when you fire up the software it will say Educational or something similar on the splash screen. Are you a professional looking for a price break? If so, you won’t qualify for the educational license unless you’re also an instructor or student at a university. And you shouldn’t be using it for commercial purposes if that’s the case. If you’re a student or instructor needing it for school, it’s $295 and you can buy the third party bundle for $195 (I think – check reseller sites to be sure).

Michael

—————-
    Michael Hancock
    Editor

• Larry Tempesta

June 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for the info!!

• Jeff Greenberg

June 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Currently in the US (don’t know about other places) Avid’s educational version entitles you to four years of upgrades. After that, it’s assumed you’ll purchase it anew as you’re no longer a student.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
    ————
    You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
    New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor’s Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
    Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
    (older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
    Contact me through my Website

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy