FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reccomend an iPad-based teleprompter that doesn't need a separate stand?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonard
Reccomend an iPad-based teleprompter that doesn't need a separate stand?
on Oct 2, 2019 at 9:05:59 pm

Hey everyone,

We've been expanding the recording studio that I posted about the last two times, and we've added a simple iPad-based teleprompter, with the sweet PromptSmartPro app that actually auto-scrolls as the presenter reads it. Only problem is that our current iPad prompter holder/reflector thingie is (a PadPrompter) needs its own stand, which would have to take up the same space as the confidence monitor right below it. There's also not room for both of their feet in the same space on the floor.

Can anyone recommend a good piece of equipment for turning our iPad into a teleprompter that actually attaches to the tripod itself (a Miller DS20)? FWIW, the camera is a Canon XF405, so definitely nothing that's only made to work with DSLRs or anything.

There's an outside chance that our existing prompter equipment is capable of attaching to the tripod we have with rigging that the person who set it up has left in a cabinet somewhere, but the website (linked above) is a lot more concerned with selling the product than giving details on how to use it. Right now the prompter is sitting on a light stand.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Reccomend an iPad-based teleprompter that doesn't need a separate stand?
on Oct 3, 2019 at 4:33:29 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Oct 3, 2019 at 4:41:17 pm

A system of rods would normally be used to hold that prompter head. The rods need some way to attach to the base plate. Zacuto is one supplier that offers a plethora of this kind of stuff.

https://www.zacuto.com/vct-baseplate

Another way to do this is to buy what's called a "cheese grater plate"... a piece of billet steel or aluminum that has had a series of holes drilled and tapped into it, such that it looks like... well, a cheese grater. You place that in a "sandwich" between the camera's base and the quick-release plate of the pan head.

The variety of holes helps you in mounting the camera's attachment plate , as well as attachments for your prompter head, onto the quick-release of the actual pan head, while being able to adjust the fore-and-aft positioning to achieve balance.

Finding an affordable cheese grater has been a quest of mine for some time now. I even looked into just paying a local metal shop to make one for a custom purpose of mine, but it's too small a job to get them interested. If you know a teenager taking metal shop, though, this could be a goldmine opportunity, since they need practice drilling and tapping holes in metal plates all the time. Win-win!

Some prompter companies offer what's sometimes called a "sled": a plate that again is the intermediate interface between the pan head and the camera, with attachment points for the prompter head, and the ability to adjust foreword-aft balance point. Sled attached to tripod, prompter connects to the front, dedicated quick-release on the top for the camera.

Some sleds can only work with one associated prompter head system. Others are kind of "agnostic" and will accommodate a lot of options.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 3, 2019 at 5:01:52 pm

[Mark Suszko] "...buy what's called a "cheese grater plate"... "

Oh god, I do relish the opportunities to correct Mark... they are the perfect combination of fun, satisfying, and rare (unfortunately)...

Actually, the piece of gak he is talking about is called a "cheese plate," not a "cheese grater plate." A cheese grater plate would be something that you put in your cheese grater... or put your grater on to catch the cheese. A "cheese plate" is indeed that piece of metal... with holes in it (you know, so that it looks like a piece of Swiss cheese).

That being said (and out of the way), Mark's advice is right on target. You basically want to attach the prompter to the camera not to the tripod... so that if/when your camera head moves (pans, tilts, whatever) the prompter travels along with it. And yes, as Mark said, a rods system is what you need. There is probably not something off the shelf exactly, you'll have to cobble it together from the various exact bits and pieces you need. As he said, Zacuto is a great source... their gear tends to be on the expensive side but is really well made.

Now Mark, don't you feel better? Education is never a waste, you know.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 3, 2019 at 5:35:06 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Oct 3, 2019 at 6:29:33 pm

Sounds gouda to me!

I'll be looking at cheese plates over by Craft Services.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 3, 2019 at 7:04:47 pm

You should check the closet or bench to see if this prompter didn't originally come with a cheese plate or a sled. That's usually part of a package, but they may have gotten separated for one reason or another... or left off the original order as a budget move...

If you have to cobble something together, look at the rod systems used for attaching matte boxes to the front of a camera... instead of the matte box, the rod system would just attach to the base of your prompting head. The prompter might use a VESA mount bracket, or a single-point threaded insert with a threaded knob that attaches from the underside. You're basically playing with erector-set parts... and it's still fun.

Here's a couple of sled ideas... this first one looks like it will hold rods from the front end, but I can't tell for sure from the one photo...

https://www.prompterpeople.com/sled-accessory-for-flex-plus-models/

Another kind... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1474031-REG/vocas_0350_1382_cheese_p...

Another kind... maybe more like what I'd want...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1311220-REG/axler_cp_815_15lws_15mm_...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]