FORUMS: list search recent posts

180 Degree Shutter Rule With Camera's Like Alexa, Red, C300 MK II, etc.

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony DeRose
180 Degree Shutter Rule With Camera's Like Alexa, Red, C300 MK II, etc.
on Apr 22, 2019 at 11:04:25 pm

Hello,

When shooting with cameras that allow you to set your shutter in degree's (even though they are electronic shutters) do you need to adjust the shutter angle when shooting high speed?

Does this only apply when shooting in shutter speed?

Thanks

http://www.anthonyderose.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: 180 Degree Shutter Rule With Camera's Like Alexa, Red, C300 MK II, etc.
on Apr 22, 2019 at 11:50:48 pm

If you're setting your shutter speed in degree increments, you should not have to change that when changing frame rates, the camera is basically calculating it for you.

For example, if you're shooting at 24fps with a 180 ° shutter, you know you're getting 1/48th a second. However if you're shooting at 60fps with a 180 ° shutter, you know that is automatically going to be 1/120 of a second.

Is that what you're asking?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Anthony DeRose
on Apr 23, 2019 at 12:20:59 am

Hey Todd,

Thanks for the clarification.

To confirm - on those camera's where I can set the shutter to angle instead of speed I don't have to make any change when adjusting frame rate, since the camera will automatically compensate?

However

If I am set to shutter speed instead on one of those camera's, I will need to make that adjustment to the speed?

For example on the Mk II if I'm at 180 and frame rate at 60fps nothing needs to be changed as it automatically compensates? Where as if I am at 1/48 speed on the Mk II and shooting at 60fps I should make sure to adjust shutter to 1/96?

http://www.anthonyderose.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 23, 2019 at 1:35:56 am

Well, firstly, a "normal" shutter speed, one that emulates a 180 ° shutter, is always "one over twice the frame rate." So, if you were shooting 60fps, a 180 ° shutter would be 1/120th of a second, not 1/96th.

But, that's a little beside the point. As to your real question, I can't say with 100% certainty but I think with most cameras the shutter speed will "stick." That is to say, if you are shooting with your shutter in angle mode rather than fractional mode, and you are for example shooting at 24fps and a 180 ° shutter (which gives you 1/48th of a second), and then you cranked your FPS up to 30fps, then your camera will retain the 180 ° shutter and automatically give you the desired 1/60th of a second exposure.

I believe that in most cases with most cameras the degree-angle designation is "sticky" and will retain that even if you change the FPS. I can't say with certainty, as it would be rare for me to make those changes so I just don't remember... I'd say 99%+ of the time I'm shooting at 24fps and 1/48th of a second and almost never have call to change that.

The good news is though, is that will take about four seconds for you to test the theory and check it. Set your camera to 24fps and a 180 ° shutter. Now change the frame rate. If it still shows to be a 180 ° shutter (which I think it will), you're golden.

I'd check it myself with a C300, but it's after hours and all my cameras are in the studio downtown.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 23, 2019 at 2:25:35 pm

[Anthony DeRose] "To confirm - on those camera's where I can set the shutter to angle instead of speed I don't have to make any change when adjusting frame rate, since the camera will automatically compensate?"

That is correct, you will always have twice your frame rate as the shutter speed if you set it to 180 degrees on the Mark II. However, I gave up on 180 a long time ago with mine, now I always shoot in 1/60 for everything, though when doing slow motion (60p or 120) I try to set at 1/120 or 1/250, as this will eliminate potential issues with flicker from LED sources (usually practicals on location in the background). Only issue I have is with cheapo eBay LED lights (say for a stage) in which I have to set ClearScan to something ridiculous (and also the backlit keyboard on the 2013-2015 MacBook Pros which flicker at anything other than 50Hz).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]