FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording audio at a festival/concert

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Weathersby
Recording audio at a festival/concert
on Apr 22, 2019 at 5:09:57 pm

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum. If not, I'll move it. I'm about to start a new project. I have to record a number of subjects at outdoor music festivals. They will actually be participating and I'll be shadowing them. My plan is to hide a lav mic on them so subject and myself have freedom to move. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the type of lav to use and placement. I've done this once before in a less active setting and the audio was fine but the cable was damaged in the movement. Trying to avoid that again.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Recording audio at a festival/concert
on Apr 22, 2019 at 5:16:22 pm

I'd suggest you ask that in the Audio Professionals forum...

https://forums.creativecow.net/audioprofessionals

You might get some advice here, but those are the go-to guys for sound recording.

I have to say, your method might be ok if you are just trying to get dialog from the musicians (behind the scenes kind of stuff, you could just put lavs/radio mics on everyone), but if you are trying to get a good recording of an actual musical performance... then no, probably not.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

David Weathersby
on Apr 22, 2019 at 5:18:45 pm

Thanks I thought there was an audio forum but I must of overlooked it. No I'm not getting the music. I'll have a board feed or different mic for that. Just the subjects.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:41:56 pm

Lavs are generally omnidirectional, but I've found you can narrow them and make them a -little- more directional by rolling a tube of tape or paper around the head of the lavaliere, then aiming that tube towards their mouth when you mount it on the person. Even better if you can muffle it a bit under some hard clothing to bounce away the extraneous sounds. Throat mics are a thing for high noise areas, but they don't have great fidelity. It's a tossup IMO between the modified "lav" and a unidirectional "stick" mic or mini shotgun. Much depends on how hard you need t hide it, and if you ca have a second person in the crowd who does nothing but point the mini shotgun at the subject from semi-concealment in the crowd.

One last thing; I have been constantly surprised by what an iPhone mic can capture, just sitting in a shirt pocket.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]