FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are there any gimbals that use manual focus when follow focusing?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
Are there any gimbals that use manual focus when follow focusing?
on Sep 24, 2018 at 6:04:47 am

I was thinking of buying the Zhiyun Crane. However, I don't know if the follow focus is good on it, because it uses the cameras electronic focusing system, and I've never thought highly of electronic focusing, since it hasn't done well for me in the past, compared to manually focusing the old fashioned way, which is actually turning the ring while shooting.

A lot of people like electronic focusing, but I find turning the ring, to be much more reliable. However, is there a gimbal where you can actually turn the lens ring while operating it?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Are there any gimbals that use manual focus when follow focusing?
on Sep 24, 2018 at 4:26:32 pm

Here's a link to what you need:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wireless+follow+focus

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 24, 2018 at 6:01:26 pm

Blaise... that is my new favorite reply to this guy.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 25, 2018 at 10:02:47 pm

I have a Zhiyn Crane 2 and a Canon 1DX Mark ii. I have been using the cameras built-in autofocus with incredible results. Here is a tutorial on the autofocus:

I think it is in this video where you can see what it looks like when the focus wheel is in use. To me, as crazy as it sounds, the autofocus on cameras like the 1DX is more reliable than the focus wheel:

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 25, 2018 at 10:29:44 pm

Okay thanks, but every time I have had DPs use autofocus, it always can't keep up. The last shoot I did, several takes were not useable because of autofocus either being too slow, or not knowing what to focus on. For example, I had an actor stick his hand out, doing a 'talk to the hand' motion, but I wanted to keep focus on his face the whole time, but the camera keeps choosing to focus on his hand when he does that. Some takes I had to choose and live with them going out of focus on the wrong times.

So the camera is not smart enough to know what to have in focus, and what not to have in focus. The DP was using the Sony A7s I believe.

But I don't want to have to choose my DPs based on how good their autofocus is. Isn't there a better way, but still be able to use a gimbal or something like that?

Or is the autofocus actually that good on some camera, that you can actually program which actor you want to be in focus, and when?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 25, 2018 at 11:07:34 pm

[ryan elder] "Isn't there a better way, but still be able to use a gimbal or something like that?"

No there isn't. Throw out any shots that would need a gimbal. Just don't do them.

[ryan elder] "Or is the autofocus actually that good on some camera, that you can actually program which actor you want to be in focus, and when?"

No, use the camera you have.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 26, 2018 at 1:20:16 am

Okay thanks, but why not use a gimbal for some shots, what's the big deal?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 26, 2018 at 4:06:54 pm

[ryan elder] "Okay thanks, but why not use a gimbal for some shots, what's the big deal?"

You shouldn't use a gimbal at all.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 25, 2018 at 11:16:04 pm

I have not used the zhiyun crane 2 follow focus even though it came with my setup. Here is a video that can show you what you can expect to see when using the follow focus feature:

[ryan elder]
Or is the autofocus actually that good on some camera, that you can actually program which actor you want to be in focus, and when?

Yes, the autofocus on a 1DX Mark ii is pretty close to that good. You have different autofocus options. One will track the actor you want to when the move left or right, forward or backward they stay in focus. Keep in mind anytime it is "auto" it can make mistakes. I just filmed a person riding a bike on a road out the back of a car. The tracking focus did a great job and I can't wait to share the project.

[ryan elder]
But I don't want to have to choose my DPs based on how good their autofocus is. Isn't there a better way, but still be able to use a gimbal or something like that?

I hear you dude. Sometimes you have to work with the limitations of your gear. The "better way", in my opinion, is to have an additional person to pull focus and let the camera operator "focus" on composing the shot. The bad news is this requires more gear. The person pulling focus needs to be able to do that without touching the lens. You need a wireless focus pulling device such as the DJU Focus https://www.dji.com/focus. To make matters more expensive they also need to see what the camera operator is filming so you would typically want a monitor for them to see as well.

[ryan elder]
So the camera is not smart enough to know what to have in focus, and what not to have in focus. The DP was using the Sony A7s I believe.

Not all cameras are equal. And others are better at certain things than others. I feel the 1DX Mark ii has the best autofocus functionality and that is why videographers will pay the crazy high price tag for it. Keep in mind you can purchase a really expensive RED camera and not have any autofocus ability. That doesn't make it a crapy camera. It all depends on what you want/need.

Best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 26, 2018 at 12:37:22 am

Oh okay thanks, I never knew there was a follow focus for the Crane 2 cause everyone is using the plug in electronic focus device.

So for the price of the follow focus, is it actually worth betting compared to the electronic focus of the crane? By electronic focus, I mean the part of the crane where you turn the dial on the crane, and a wire plugs into the camera, and focuses the camera electronically, while you turn the focus wheel.

Is that electronic focus more or less reliable then the wireless follow focus?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 26, 2018 at 3:11:34 pm

Realistically how often would the camera in such situations need to be zoomed or have the focus changed in the first place, from being fully wide and focused at infinity? In the example given, leaving autofocus off and setting the camera full wide, focus at infinity, with sufficient light to have good DOF, there would have been no issues when the hand was raised into shot. The typical use for a hand-held cam is to work in close around a moving subject(s) and the shots 99 percent of the time would not need any zooming or re-focusing because the camera is already being physically moved to re-frame and direct our attention from moment to moment.

My cranky-old-man's take is, if you're also needing to do complex manipulations to the already hand-held camera lens *besides* moving it, you may be over-complicating the shot, ...or using the wrong tools.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 26, 2018 at 4:26:56 pm

[Mark Suszko]
Realistically how often would the camera in such situations need to be zoomed or have the focus changed in the first place, from being fully wide and focused at infinity?

For me, I HATE seeing everything in focus for infinity for most situations. I think most things look more cinematic if your layers of depth get blurrier the further things get from your subject. I just had a situation last week. I wanted to film a guy riding his bike our the back of the car. The distance from the camera to the bike rider changed every second. If I had the depth of field that I liked and filmed with the guy on the bike would constantly go in and out of focus without the ability to change the focus.

In this situation. If you could keep the talent the same distance from the camera during the whole move they would stay in focus. Which to me would be the easiest solution.

[Ryan Elder]
Okay thanks, but why not use a gimbal for some shots, what's the big deal?

I think the point Gary is making is if your gear can't do the move you want then don't do it. As a storyteller, if you feel there is only one way to do something and a long gimbal shot is the only way to tell your story then you lack a lot out the box thinking. How many amazing movies have been created the can tell a story without a gimbal. It is crazy to think this is the only way to film this scene.

[Ryan Elder]
So for the price of the follow focus, is it actually worth betting compared to the electronic focus of the crane?

I haven't used either so don't take my word for it. But from what I remember the electronic focus isn't smooth at all. It looks like the focus changes in clicks. Whereas the attachment seems to be as smooth as you would think a controller on a handle could do.

As for price, if you purchase it on B&H the follow focus is free: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1359107-REG/zhiyun_tech_crane_2_3_ax...

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 26, 2018 at 9:47:53 pm

Well we were shooting at night which called for the aperture to be opened up more and have a more shallow DOF compared to say, outside in the daylight. So that is what I would be pulling focus for is situations like that, where I need to open the aperture more, for light.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 26, 2018 at 9:50:07 pm

I also like to not have everything in focus as I too feel it looks more cinematic.

The most trouble I have is when I want to do a push in to the face on an actor. I want to shoot those on 85mm lenses so the faces don't have barrel distortion during the push in. The 85mm looks best for close ups anyway. But when the gimbal operator does the push in, the autofocus, cannot pull focus in time, and is late in responding.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 26, 2018 at 9:52:31 pm

As for the recommendation to keep people the same distance from the camera all the time, I can't do that in every type of scene shoot though. Some shots actually call for an actor to change distance, and it would actually complicate some shots more, if I were to keep them at the same distance the whole time.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 26, 2018 at 10:51:07 pm

[Ryan Elder]
As for the recommendation to keep people the same distance from the camera all the time, I can't do that in every type of scene shoot though.

Of course. I don't think anyone here is saying otherwise.

[Ryan Elder]
Some shots actually call for an actor to change distance, and it would actually complicate some shots more, if I were to keep them at the same distance the whole time.

If your tools can't do it and you can't afford better tools then this is where you think outside the box. There are tons of amazing films that don't use any gimbal shots whatsoever. Are you really telling me that this story is so revolutionary that you could not have told this story cinematically 10 years ago when no one had motorized gimbals? Motorized gimbals are still very new to the industry and not having them didn't stop people from telling stories. It feels like you are dead set on the camera move and not the story. I know you find this reply frustrating but seriously, think of alternative ways to show the same message. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 26, 2018 at 11:44:44 pm

Oh I was just asking what the best type of focusing system would be for a gimbal, I am not dead set on it, I would say. I actually think that a gimbal would make the shoots easier, because it requires less shot set ups and less shoot time, if I can move from one point to another, rather than having to cut, and do a new set up.

Like let's say I have a seen of two people walking down the street and talking for like say... three minutes. With a gimbal you can nail it all in one shot, and do a few takes cause I am moving with them.

If the camera was static, then the two people would walk in out of frame for several shots, and I would have to keep cutting to new shots, and that could be like five more shot set ups compared to a gimbal.

So things like a gimbal can actually make a shoot easier and more efficient and that is what I am aiming for.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 26, 2018 at 11:45:53 pm

The last shoot for a short film I did, went so much better in my opinion, cause the gimbal was able to move along with the actor for longer amounts of time, and I didn't have to do a lot more shot sets up in comparison, if I went with static shots.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 27, 2018 at 10:06:08 pm

What's so wrong about wanting to advance and not do the same thing over and over?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 27, 2018 at 2:47:36 pm

[Ryan Elder]
Like let's say I have a seen of two people walking down the street and talking for like say... three minutes.

Why do the actors HAVE to walk down the street?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 27, 2018 at 10:04:06 pm

Well I'm tired of acting standing in one place the whole time, as it gets boring. They should move around once in a while to do something different.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 27, 2018 at 10:05:14 pm

The last shoot I did the actors were in one place the whole time and I would like more movement to tell the story.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 27, 2018 at 10:41:38 pm

Ryan,

Two things:

1. Your replies are getting too hard to follow. If you look at the entire thread you typically have three separate replies to me instead of just one. Poke around the cow and you will see that people structure their replies like this:

[Name of person quoting]
Whatever they said goes here.

Then you say what you want. You repeat this process for every quote you want to reply to. Just look at my many replies to your for reference.

2. This conversation is getting really old. Let me make this as simple as I can. You said you want to do a specific shot but can't make it work with the tools you have and can't afford to get the proper tools to do the job. You have received advice on how to make the shot work and you still feel none of those ideas will work. If that isn't the case then why the heck are we still talking? Which is why I said:

If your tools can't do it and you can't afford better tools then this is where you think outside the box. There are tons of amazing films that don't use any gimbal shots whatsoever. Are you really telling me that this story is so revolutionary that you could not have told this story cinematically 10 years ago when no one had motorized gimbals? Motorized gimbals are still very new to the industry and not having them didn't stop people from telling stories. It feels like you are dead set on the camera move and not the story. I know you find this reply frustrating but seriously, think of alternative ways to show the same message. Best of luck.

At which point you prove my point that you are unwilling to think outside the box. You are so stuck on this idea that you can't think of anything else. This way of thinking will only slow you down in life. I can't understand why you can't think of any other scenario for your actors other than for them to walk and talk for 3 minutes. I have not heard any real answers from you on why you can't just change the scene to make the shot work with the gear you have. As I said in a past conversation with you already:

I would like to bring up an example where budget restraints created a better solution. Doug Liman did not have the budget he wanted for Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The neighborhood scene where Mr. Smith trips on the fence and accidentally almost shoots his wife is a great one and added a lot to the movie. It was originally supposed to be this big budget car chase scene that the studio would not pay for. Instead, we ended up with this very simple scene that brought so much more to the movie. Limitations can help you find better solutions.

Best of luck Ryan.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 28, 2018 at 12:27:20 am

Sorry about that. Sometimes I think of things to add to my replies later, but this site will not allow me to edit my replies.

You said that "if your tools can't do it better, and you can't afford better tools, that I will have to think outside the box".

But I CAN afford better tools, I was just asking which type of focusing tool is the better one. I didn't say I couldn't afford it though. I totally can, which is why I was asking.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 28, 2018 at 1:37:10 pm

[ryan elder] "But I CAN afford better tools, I was just asking which type of focusing tool is the better one. I didn't say I couldn't afford it though. I totally can, which is why I was asking."

Even though you can afford it, you should not spend the money.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 28, 2018 at 5:29:32 pm

[Ryan Elder]

You said that "if your tools can't do it better, and you can't afford better tools, that I will have to think outside the box".

But I CAN afford better tools, I was just asking which type of focusing tool is the better one. I didn't say I couldn't afford it though. I totally can, which is why I was asking.

I'm not sure why this conversation is still going then? That question was answered a while ago.

Best option: Purchase a wireless follow focus & wireless monitor for a 2nd person to handle focus
OK but will work option: Use the follow focus that attaches to the lens and is controlled by the Zhyiun Crane 2 you want to purchase. The link I sent a while ago includes the follow focus for free
Free option: Set focus and tell actors to stay roughly the same distance from the camera. Instead of doing a move where you start out far away and then move really close to the talent do a cut so the actor's distance will stay the same. Or keep everything in infinity focus.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 28, 2018 at 10:15:50 pm

Oh sorry for the confusion. Basically my question is, is which type of follow focus is better, the one that controls the electronic focus in the camera, or the one that actually turns the lens ring? I read mixed opinions on both, so is there actually one that is better over the other?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 28, 2018 at 11:01:23 pm

[Ryan Elder]
Oh sorry for the confusion. Basically my question is, is which type of follow focus is better, the one that controls the electronic focus in the camera, or the one that actually turns the lens ring? I read mixed opinions on both, so is there actually one that is better over the other?

I thought I already covered that during this conversation:

[Ryan Elder]
So for the price of the follow focus, is it actually worth betting compared to the electronic focus of the crane?

I haven't used either so don't take my word for it. But from what I remember the electronic focus isn't smooth at all. It looks like the focus changes in clicks. Whereas the attachment seems to be as smooth as you would think a controller on a handle could do.

As for price, if you purchase it on B&H the follow focus is free:

If you are talking about just plugging the cable in the camera versus using the free attachment it really doesn't matter. You get both options for the same price so you can play with both and see which you prefer. If you are talking about a 3rd party focus option that will be better and will cost more money.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 28, 2018 at 11:12:55 pm

Oh I thought you said you haven't used the follow focus before in one of your previous posts.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 1, 2018 at 3:13:28 pm

[Ryan Elder]
Oh I thought you said you haven't used the follow focus before in one of your previous posts.

The answer to this question and the last question are both found in my last reply. This explains why this thread has over 30 posts since it appears you are not fully reading all replies. ☺

Bottom line, the electronic focusing sucks and I don't think it even works with Sony. To see it in action watch this video, you can see it isn't smooth at all:

The follow focus accessory that comes free with the Crane 2 is smooth and will be what you want to use if you want that ability. I think for your shot you are describing it will be a challenge to use the Crane 2 to do your move and keep your subject completely in focus. But you seem dead set on the move and are up for the challenge so best of luck.

The more ideal set up would be a wireless follow focus for an additional person to operate so they can just focus on "focus". But that solution cost a lot more money.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 1, 2018 at 9:38:28 pm

Okay thanks. Sorry for not reading all the replies before I think I missed some of them before.

When you say the accessory comes free, and it is smooth, which one do you mean? You say the electronic focusing sucks, and you say that the follow focus is a lot more money. So which is this free one you mean? I thought the free one, was the electronic focus, unless I am wrong?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 1, 2018 at 10:13:20 pm

[Ryan Elder]
When you say the accessory comes free, and it is smooth, which one do you mean? You say the electronic focusing sucks, and you say that the follow focus is a lot more money. So which is this free one you mean? I thought the free one, was the electronic focus, unless I am wrong?

By electronic focus, I'm talking about the ability to plug a cable from the camera to the Crane 2. It will control the focus through the camera as shown in this video:

The free attachment I'm talking about is the "Zhiyun-Tech Focus Motor for Crane 2". Here on B&H it is free: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1359107-REG/zhiyun_tech_crane_2_3_ax...

You can see it in action on this video:

[Ryan Elder]
you say that the follow focus is a lot more money.

I said, "The more ideal set up would be a wireless follow focus for an additional person to operate so they can just focus on "focus". But that solution cost a lot more money." That would be a third party like the DJI follow focus: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1389735-REG/dji_cp_zm_000234_02_dji_... You would need that and a monitor to watch your image. Which will cost a lot more the free. But it frees up your camera operator to not have to focus on keeping everything in focus.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 1, 2018 at 10:37:55 pm

Okay thanks. I've seen that video before, but doesn't that gadget in the video count as a wireless follow focus? What's the difference between this free follow focus, vs. the one you have to pay a lot more for?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 1, 2018 at 10:45:45 pm

[Ryan Elder]
Okay thanks. I've seen that video before, but doesn't that gadget in the video count as a wireless follow focus? What's the difference between this free follow focus, vs. the one you have to pay a lot more for?

The one that comes with the Crane2 is controlled by the Crane 2. On the handle, you have some buttons and a menu and a wheel that allow you to control the focus. If you are doing a move where you see most of someone's body and then move the camera really close so you only see the actors face that can be a challenge to keep the whole thing in focus using just the Crane 2 wheel.

The DJI one is wireless so the focus is controlled by a different person. So 1 person operates the Crane2 while the 2nd person operates the DJI wireless focus controller. Because it is wireless they can stand out of the way of the actor and Crane 2 operator. Which is why they will also need a preview monitor.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 1, 2018 at 10:57:34 pm

Oh I see, okay thanks. So basically this focus that comes with the crane 2 is a follow focus and it's free... and you say it works better than the electronic wire focus, is that right? Why is the follow focus free, compared to the electronic wire focus? I thought that follow focus's were typically more expensive, unless there is a catch to this one?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 1, 2018 at 11:17:03 pm

Correct, but since it is free you can try both for yourself and not take my word for it. Why is it free, I don't know. I'm assuming it is to get more people to purchase it. If you want you can always rent it and test if out for your self. If no one locally has it you can try an online rental house like https://www.lensrentals.com , be sure to get the crane 2 and the follow focus servo motor.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 2, 2018 at 12:26:58 am

Okay thanks. I might try it out! I was thinking maybe I should perhaps listen to what you said before and not get all this fancy equipment to move the camera so much.

I was looking for other options, and a possibly cheaper option would be to get a tripod dolly, that can be operated by one person. It's probably more simple to use than a gimbal I am guessing, since all you have to do is lay down track and roll it along, compared to balancing a gimbal. Plus it would be easier to pull focus on a tripod dolly.

However, gimbals are selling like hotcakes over tripod dollies. So why are filmmakers are more interested in considerably more expensive gimbals instead?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 5, 2018 at 3:09:13 pm

[ryan elder] "However, gimbals are selling like hotcakes over tripod dollies. So why are filmmakers are more interested in considerably more expensive gimbals instead?"

That are not more interested. Don't worry about purchasing a gimbal or a tripod dolly, you don't need either of those. Worry instead about getting basic, steady shots.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 5, 2018 at 10:12:14 pm

Okay thanks. It's just that in this project, there are characters running from each other, such as a woman running from a killer, who is after her, cause she knows too much, etc.

So with shots like that I want to track along with the actors, cause I want to keep them in focus while moving along. Or if I keep it static, then they will go out of frame a lot during the running, and I will have to do more shot set ups. Where as if I move with them, I will have to do less shot set ups. So I thought either a gimbal or a dolly would help, when it comes to scenes where the actors have to run from each other, and create a lot of movement therefore.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 7, 2018 at 2:58:35 am

You don’t need any gimbal to show the sequence you are describing. Concentrate instead on delivering a finished project with steady shots and a story that makes sense.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 7, 2018 at 9:33:24 am

Okay thanks, but I've already delivered finished products with finished stories already though, and want to try new things when filmmaking. Why should I do the same thing over and over again, instead of trying new techniques? Is it wrong to move or, or advance, especially after already accomplishing finished products before?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 7, 2018 at 4:45:30 pm

[ryan elder] "I've already delivered finished products with finished stories already though, and want to try new things when filmmaking."

Then you should post one of those.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 8, 2018 at 7:55:03 am

Okay sure, should I post it here, or another part of the site?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 8, 2018 at 2:00:55 pm

[ryan elder] "Okay sure, should I post it here, or another part of the site?"

You can post it here.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 8, 2018 at 6:04:39 pm

Here are some links to other short films of mine:

I also worked on other people's but they do not have them online for me to post links to.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 8, 2018 at 6:15:52 pm

I also posted a sample of my latest one, which is not finished yet, in the Art of the Edit forum to get opinions as well.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 26, 2018 at 4:07:42 pm

[ryan elder] "Is that electronic focus more or less reliable then the wireless follow focus?"

You shouldn't purchase a wireless follow focus. They are both unreliable for your situation.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 27, 2018 at 4:02:43 pm

Here is the commercial with the bike I was talking about. There are 2 shots where you can tell I'm in a car in front of the guy on the bike. The 1DX mark ii kept him in focus with the tracking feature. We drove for about 10 minutes and I had to keep him in focus for most of the time which was a challenge since he was constantly closer or further away from the camera. I think the end result was cool:

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 28, 2018 at 1:48:07 pm

Very nice. This is brief in the edit, but the footage of the cosplayers was a bunch of long takes with an EZ Rig Mini Max and a Ronin-M flying my C300 Mark II with Face Detect running.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 1, 2018 at 3:18:24 pm

Gary,

Good stuff! Looks like that was a lot of fun to film. How do you like the C300 Mark II?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 2, 2018 at 4:15:15 pm

I've had it since Fall 2015, and I love it. One of the best cameras I've ever used.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 2, 2018 at 4:35:52 am

I think you have two options, A and B...

Option A--

Since you say money is not an issue, this option would be:
Ditch the SLR lenses. Yes, many filmmakers have successfully used SLR lenses, but that's not what they were made for. SLR lenses are great tools but they are not the right tool... in your case you need a wrench when you are needing a screwdriver. SLR lenses have inherent issues that you have to deal with... such as short-turn focus ring travel that make precision follow-focusing an absolute beast, no gear teeth, "clicking" aperture settings, breathing, and the list goes on.
1) Buy or rent (much smarter to rent) real cine lenses, or at least still lenses that have been re-barreled so that they perform as cine lenses.
2) Buy or rent (much smarter to rent) a real remote follow focus unit
3) Hire a camera assistant who is a proficient focus puller (and the real pros can eyeball measurements within an inch)
4) Be done with it.

Or...

Option B--

Continue talking this to death absolutely ad nauseam.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 2, 2018 at 10:03:18 pm

Okay thanks, but I thought I would just use the tools I got. Plus I think that the crane follow focus, actually is made for DSLR lenses, and not cine lenses, isn't it?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Oct 2, 2018 at 10:05:38 pm

The problem I have with renting, is that I have to schedule my shoot days based on the availability of the rental shop's schedule and this can cause major problems during a shoot if I have to schedule around the equipment availability.

My last short film had a lot of headaches cause we rented and had to shoot based around that, rather than having the equipment available and ready to go, and therefore, can schedule on shoot days that work better for everyone, since rental availability is not an issue.

I don't know how other people rent and it doesn't put a damper in their shooting schedule.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 3, 2018 at 5:34:12 pm

[ryan elder]
Okay thanks, but I thought I would just use the tools I got. Plus I think that the crane follow focus, actually is made for DSLR lenses, and not cine lenses, isn't it?

The Crane 2 Servo Follow Focus that attaches to the Crane 2 and is currently free with the purchase of the Crane 2 works with DSLR lenses and cine lenses. It, like all follow focuses, is built for Cine lenses. But it comes with a ring you can put around your DSLR lenses to make them work as well with that extra part.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]