FORUMS: list search recent posts

What type of lens was used to get this shot?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
What type of lens was used to get this shot?
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:46:16 am

Basically it's the shot here at 3:17 into the clip:

I like how the lens is able to track the vehicle for so long while panning and I wanted do something similar with a vehicle on the highway for a shoot but does anyone know what focal length is needed to hold a fast moving vehicle for that long?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: What type of lens was used to get this shot?
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:46:36 am

A lens with glass in it.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:57:52 am

But is there a way to determine that though from looking at the movie, what the focal length is?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 11, 2018 at 10:28:02 pm

But I'm planning the shots on a movie with moving cars, so it's similar, so I thought I would ask, cause I can't tell by the compression exactly, what focal length was used.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:55:55 pm

It doesn’t matter that it’s similar. Pick your lens on set to what you think looks good and don’t worry about what some movie did decades ago.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 12:09:31 am

Okay thanks, but I have to plan in advance, cause this lens has to be ordered and will not be available on set. The DP doesn't have it. I asked him and he said he is not sure as he has never shot over 85mm. So I thought I would ask others :).

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 12, 2018 at 12:22:19 am

Since your DP doesn’t exist, I don’t think it matters.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 12:54:03 am

Why don't you think he doesn't exist? If I use the same one as last time, his longest is an 85.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 12, 2018 at 2:20:14 am

Just use something like Extreme Telephoto with panning shot to describe it in your plans. Create new work, and do not focus on how things were done back on 35mm film. Frame the shot you have in your imagination, and describe it the best you can.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 2:26:51 am

Okay thanks. It's hard to find examples in the digital age though, since a lot of people don't shoot action on telephoto much anymore. Nowadays they usually just strap the camera to a moving vehicle and shoot on a wider lens, so it's hard to find newer examples.

When you say describe it as extreme telephoto, you are referring to the storyboards?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 2:55:02 am

What examples were my cell phone?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 12, 2018 at 3:10:36 am

Your timewine sample edit definitely has a cell phone look in many shots (especially the shakiness and the quality of your voice in the audio), and your entire energy drink spec commercial has noise consistent with what cellphone noise looks like. The whole "shot at f/11" explanation seems to be to explain why there's no shallow DoF, which there wouldn't be from a sensor that small.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 3:22:16 am

My examples I posted on here before were all done with cameras with detachable lenses.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 12, 2018 at 11:09:25 am

Great! Then use the lenses you already have.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 11:49:36 am

Yeah but I don't mind ordering another lens for some of the shots, that's doable.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 11:50:15 am

It's just the DP's lenses are not long enough for some of the shots.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 12, 2018 at 3:02:55 pm

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 12, 2018 at 3:31:54 pm

Your “DP”’s lenses are perfectly acceptable for the quality you are getting. Don’t waste money.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 9:41:39 pm

Okay thanks. I see what you are saying, but sometimes I feel the lenses do not look right for every shot. The short film I shot last week, I settled for a 35mm lens, even though I really wanted something wider for the type of shot.

Or how for other shoots I settled for wider even though I feel the shots could look better if they were on a longer lens. So I feel that I am not wasting money.

It seems that some other filmmakers are okay with a bare minimum if quality. Like when it comes to cinematography, they feel that as long as they have a camera, a lens, and some lights that is enough to make the movie.

And technically it is, but I feel like I could be doing better, rather than just doing the bare minimum. Isn't good to an extent, to want to produce the best movie I can rather than just shortcutting the bare minimum every time?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 12, 2018 at 10:54:57 pm

[ryan elder] "It seems that some other filmmakers are okay with a bare minimum if quality. Like when it comes to cinematography, they feel that as long as they have a camera, a lens, and some lights that is enough to make the movie."

You're a filmmaker that is okay with a bare minimum of quality, it's reflected in the work you've shown. You should just take what you have and make a movie instead of just yapping about it.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 12, 2018 at 11:03:35 pm

Okay thanks, but you say I am okay with the bare minimum, when in fact I am not and want to upgrade. What makes you think I'm okay with it?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 13, 2018 at 2:48:07 am

"Upgrading" has nothing to do with it. A new lens won't fix poor composition, terrible lighting, confusing editing, boring plots, lame acting, and uncompleted projects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]