FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect ratio and film festivals.

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
Aspect ratio and film festivals.
on Sep 8, 2018 at 4:09:29 am

My next project is a horror thriller type genre film and I am contemplating which aspect ratio to shoot it in.

I was thinking either 2.39:1 or 2.20:1. However, I was told that most theaters are specifically formatted to project at either 1.85:1 or 2.39:1, and that most projections are not trained on how to adjust projections at most theaters, which is why they have just the main two aspect ratio settings almost all the time. Therefore, I was told to shoot in 2.39:1 to be safe.

But do you think that's true though, and I should shoot in 2.39:1 to be safe with most theaters when it comes to entering into film festivals?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Aspect ratio and film festivals.
on Sep 8, 2018 at 4:33:01 pm

[ryan elder] "But do you think that's true though, and I should shoot in 2.39:1 to be safe with most theaters when it comes to entering into film festivals?
"

Film festivals will project whatever aspect ratio you deliver in to their specifications. You should pick the aspect ratio based on what is good for your short, not the other way around.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 8, 2018 at 4:46:05 pm

Oh okay, this is the opposite of what I have heard before, and that projectionists are not usually trained on any other than 1.85:1 and 2.39:1.

However, I was told that the movie Tomorrowland was shot in a 2.20:1 aspect ratio, but they put it in a 1.85:1 DCP with black bars on the top and bottom, and that the reason why they did this, was so the theaters could display it properly, since they are only set up for 1.85:1, or 2.39:1.

So is that true, and that if I shot it 2.20:1, then I should put it in a 1.85:1 sized DCP?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 8, 2018 at 11:25:14 pm

[ryan elder] "Oh okay, this is the opposite of what I have heard before, and that projectionists are not usually trained on any other than 1.85:1 and 2.39:1. "

Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. If you're delivering a DCI, it especially doesn't matter because all DCI "prints" are 1.9:1 and matted to the appropriate AR within that. There's no "training" involved at all.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 9, 2018 at 3:11:29 am

Oh okay, so if I want to shoot at 2.20:1 then what pixel aspect ratio should I export it at? For example 1.77:1 is 1920 x1080 in HD, and 2.39:1 is 1920 x 810. But I can't find out what 2.20:1 is in pixels. How do I find out?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 10, 2018 at 2:56:05 am

Exporting for what? Vimeo/YouTube/Facebook?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 10, 2018 at 3:26:46 am

Exporting for film festivals.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 11, 2018 at 12:51:31 am

Then you'll need to create a DCI package and export for that. I think you're putting the cart before the horse considering that a) you haven't shot your short yet and b) you'll then need to enter it into festivals. This question should be left until you have a completed master of your short film and you have the deliverable specs to the film festival that accepts it.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 11, 2018 at 1:32:37 am

Okay thanks, but don't need to decide the aspect ratio before shooting, to know that if a theater will accept it?

I don't want to shoot in an aspect ratio, and then be told later, that they cannot handle it for any reason.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 11, 2018 at 2:52:13 am

[ryan elder] "Okay thanks, but don't need to decide the aspect ratio before shooting, to know that if a theater will accept it?"

No, as I stated before:

[Gary Huff] "Film festivals will project whatever aspect ratio you deliver in to their specifications. You should pick the aspect ratio based on what is good for your short, not the other way around."

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 11, 2018 at 5:13:27 am

Okay thanks, sorry yes, I see what you mean. So how do I figure out the aspect ratio then during export? Like in Premiere Pro, it doesn't give a 2.20:1 export option. You have to decide in pixels, so how I convert 2.20:1 into pixels?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:16:13 am

This literally does not matter at all at this point. You haven't even filmed your short. Film it, get it accepted into a festival, and repost the question then when it is time to make a deliverable. There's no reason to know any of this at this point.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:36:28 am

Okay thanks, but in order to send it into festivals, I have to know the pixel aspect ratio to export it in first, don't I?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:37:27 am

Well okay then, I will film it in either 2.20:1 or 2.39:1 and then ask what the pixel aspect ratio should be afterwards. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:46:07 am

[ryan elder] "Okay thanks, but in order to send it into festivals, I have to know the pixel aspect ratio to export it in first, don't I?"

You don't even have a film to export it. Shoot your film first, get accepted into a film festival, then ask this question.

[ryan elder] "Well okay then, I will film it in either 2.20:1 or 2.39:1 and then ask what the pixel aspect ratio should be afterwards."

This is not a question you have to concern yourself with.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:47:59 am

Okay thanks, but here is what I don't understand though. How am I suppose to get accepted into a festival FIRST, if I haven't even exported the movie yet? Wouldn't I have to export it first, and send it in, before I got accepted?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:56:25 am

You don't even have a film to submit, that's not worth worrying about at this point.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Sep 11, 2018 at 11:58:42 am

Oh okay then. Well I will shoot in the aspect ratio I want and then ask what I should export it at then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]