FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do you think my DP is right when it comes to these types of shots?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
Do you think my DP is right when it comes to these types of shots?
on Aug 19, 2018 at 10:38:14 am

I'm shooting a short film now and I had some shots planned where I wanted to slow push into an actors face, but also slowly move the camera around his face, while he is speaking, with a long lens like an 85mm.

The DP couldn't find anyone he knows that has a dolly to do that, so he suggested that he just uses his gimbal to do it.

However, I was told before by others, that an 85mm on a gimbal would not look good and have too much shake most likely. Where as I don't want to use anything wider, because an 85mm looks the best on faces.

So I told the DP we should just not move the camera perhaps and just be still but he says that the gimbal with an 85 on it will work, and he showed me some tests he did, and it actually looks a lot better than I thought.

However, do you think his advice is correct since slow push ins and slow dolly type moves on a long lens, are typically reserved for dollies, and not gimbals, as I understand it?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Do you think my DP is right when it comes to these types of shots?
on Aug 20, 2018 at 5:24:18 pm

The way I read your post it sounds like your DP pulled of the move you thought was not possible. If they did and it looks good why in the world does it matter what others think is the standard way of doing things? I'm alway looking for cheaper and better ways to do things.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 21, 2018 at 2:15:16 pm

I think I'd rather shoot a 50 on the gimbal if it's hand-held.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 21, 2018 at 4:49:05 pm

I tried the 50 before but it's too wide on the faces, and makes the actors look too thin on a full frame camera. In order to get that nice close up on the face look, while pushing in, you need at least an 85 I find.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]