FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I invest in a glidecam or dolly/jib set up?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
Should I invest in a glidecam or dolly/jib set up?
on Jul 27, 2018 at 5:26:44 am

I want to shoot a feature film where it's a suspense horror thriller that involves chases, so will want a set up to move the camera for those kinds of sequences.

I want to be able to run with the actors, kind of like in these types of running shots:

But I also in other instances, want to be able to move the camera up or down... not necessarily very far though, just for certain establishing shots.

Now in that video, they are on a wide lens, which looks better for chases. But this means for a dolly that I would see the tracks in the shots right? Did they use dollies for the scene they shot in the example?

So in order to go back and forth, and up and down, I could get a glide cam, which does all of that. However, there are certain shots, where I want to go back and forth, and be able to pull focus at the same time, and a dolly is better for that.

So I am thinking I either get a glidecam to do all these moves, or a I get a dolly with a jib on it. I haven't hired a cinematographer yet but I want to get the equipment first, and the equipment will be for that person, but want to have all my gear budgeted out first, before I start hiring crew.

So it will be what is best for them as well, and I will have to take guesses. But for the types of moves I described, should I get a steadicam for the running scenes, as well as use it for the up and down establishing shot as well? Or should I get a dolly, with a jib attached to it, and tracks of course?

What do you think?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Should I invest in a glidecam or dolly/jib set up?
on Jul 27, 2018 at 4:14:05 pm

You need to hire, or at least consult with, your cinematographer first. What equipment they need is up to them, if you want them to contribute in a meaningful way. It's disrespectful to your DP for you to make this kind of decision without their involvement. Your DP is one of the most important crew members to your production--you CANNOT make plans without them, because they need to tell YOU what they need to accomplish a scene.

You haven't specified your camera choice, which will make a big difference as to the final choice for camera rigging. Again--you NEED to get your DP involved now. A good DP will be more qualified than you to make these decisions.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 27, 2018 at 4:28:48 pm

Blaise beat me to it... but I have the same advice.

DON'T go buying a bunch of gear. Consult with the cinematographer.

No offense, but you don't seem like an expert in this area (which is fine, not everyone should be an expert at everything), but he or she will be and will tell you what you need. They may even already have some of the gear themselves (in fact, that's likely). At minimum they probably already have relationships with vendors or rental houses that will be helpful.

Honestly, if I was hired (or inquired about) as a DP and went in and was told this is how it's going to work and this is what I've bought and this is the gear you'll need for this shot or that shot... I'd probably say "Thanks, but I'm not the right guy for you."

Talk to the DP first.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 9:53:02 pm

Yes ideally that is the best way to do it, but in past experiences, I have had DPs cancel on me, and I had to have last minute replacements take over, and in those situations, I do not have time to order in new equipment that the new DP may not have, cause the equipment takes a few weeks to get here.

The last film shoot I did, there were four DPs since, the first became unavailable, after one shoot, then the second became unavailable after taking over, and etc. So I want to make the decision of the possibility, if one is going to come and then go, and has to be replaced, that the equipment is already in line and ready to go for the replacement.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 27, 2018 at 4:31:33 pm

By the way, the movie that you referenced there, Marathon Man, was one of the very first (if not the first) feature film uses for what was then a brand-new invention, the Steadicam.

Steadicam inventor Garrett Brown was the camera operator (just as he was for The Shining, the other very-early-Steadicam movie).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 9:58:27 pm

Oh okay, I thought it was a steadicam, which is why I chose this example. I think I would need that cause if you look at the ground, the actors are running on, there are no tracks visible, so I think I would need a steadicam or a glidecam to get that.

One of the reasons I thought I would get the glidecam in advance, is cause I hear they need a lot of practice and every DP I know, does not have experience with it, so therefore, I could get a lot more experience before bringing the DP on. If the DP wants to get the experience and wishes to operate the glidecam, then that is perfectly fine for me, but since no DP I know has one, I figure I would have to get this equipment myself in advance, and have it ready to go. Plus I could get the necessary practice out of it in advance, if an experienced operator is required.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:00:46 pm

Okay thanks, but here is the problem. The first shoot date I have planned is September 16. No DP's have signed on yet. I got all the other crew so far, but no DP. The deadline is coming up, so by the time a DP comes on board, I may not have time to wait for the equipment to be mailed in.

So I need to plan in advance, if that happens and a DP is signed on too late.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:01:44 pm

What I mean is by the time a DP is signed on there may not be enough time to order the equipment so I have may very well have to make that decision beforehand.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:05:40 pm

Sorry I didn't specify camera choice. Well every DP I know has a camera that weighs no more than 10 pounds. So if that is the case, then a glidecam or a dolly, could support any of their cameras.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:08:45 pm

Sorry for all the posts, but I can't seem to add to a previous post on here.

I haven't met a DP who has that gear yet, as everyone of them I know has tripods only. I only know one DP who has all that gear for movement, but I found him to be really difficult to work with, and I don't want to work with him if I don't have to.

But since all the others I know have tripods only, I thought I would just invest in the gear for whichever one wants to be DP, who I would like to have as the DP. As for rental houses, I checked the rental houses, and they only have tripods and dollies only, but no steadicams or jibs.

So I would have to buy them it seems.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:17:19 pm

Sorry you are unable to hear/read what Todd and Blaise have told you about consulting with your DP first. There are many good reasons why, with the possible exception of important talent, the DP is the first person you book.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:22:27 pm

Okay thanks. I should start over or reschedule maybe then, instead of trying to book multiple crew, simultaneously on a crew call then.

So I've had this happen in the past before, with DPs, and I am wondering how to address it now. In the past I asked DPs what I would need to get certain kinds of camera movement for the shots, and they said a steadicam. However, they did not know how to use one and they said they would need a lot of time to get the hang of one and practice with one.

If this is the case, how much time is too much do you think and you need to get pre-production ball rolling? Like how much time would a DP ask for to practice before it was too much do you think?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:24:45 pm

Or if I should seek out a DP who already knows how to use one, where do you find the DPs who are familiar with steadicams?

In the past, none of them were, so where do I find these DPs specifically?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 31, 2018 at 1:29:33 am

Okay thanks, I didn't know that the Osmo came with manual exposure control options like that! So what would be a better tool between the Osmo and the Zhiyun crane do you think?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:44:05 pm

Wow, the stream-of-consciousness thing. Exhausting.

First: You need to find reliable crew. Are you paying? If you're not, then that would probably be why your crew isn't reliable. If you're paying, and your DPs are disappearing, then maybe you should consider whether there's something you're doing that is driving them away?

The guy who has a full stable of equipment, the one guy qualified to help you, is hard to work with, huh? Sounds like an opportunity to develop a better relationship. Pay him his rate, plus his gear-rental fee, and I guarantee it will be cheaper than buying any kind of decent stabilization.

Second, because I do see your problem, I'm going to give you the short-term solution, should you continue to struggle. This will work for a sub-8 lb camera: https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/dji-ronin-s-3-axis-gimbal-stabilizer

Heavier than that, and you need one of these: https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/dji-ronin-2-3-axis-handheld-stabilizer

Rent one of those, as well as a golf cart. It will cost you less than buying it, and with a 7-day rental, that's plenty of time to schedule a practice day.

But for real, your DP should be working with you from day 1 on storyboards and plans. If not, then that may be why they're quitting on you--I would not return to a DP gig that required I use the producer's gear and lighting choices.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 10:52:21 pm

Okay thanks. Basically the reason why the DPs kept becoming unavailable on that past project is one crew or cast member will cancel for he/she is sick, or couldn't get out of something, or for whatever reason. So a rescheduling is caused, and the DPs time was up by then, so I had to get someone else, then someone else in the cast or crew had to reschedule, and then that DPs time was up, etc.

So it wasn't anything to do with me, it was cause of the reschedulings, from other people, and the times they were available.

I could go to the guy who has all the gear, but the last time I worked with him he smocked pot all the way through a shoot, and was high the whole time, and made quite a few mistakes that I feel he wouldn't have made if his judgment was not impaired.

He also wanted to shoot the whole movie in 60 fps, where as I wanted 24 fps. I don't like the 60 fps look and he was very stubborn about it, and would not do it any other way than 60 fps.

So if I go to him for and pay him his fee, what can I do to get him to be more flexible on the 60 fps thing?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 27, 2018 at 11:09:44 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Jul 27, 2018 at 11:12:02 pm

Those Marathon Man shots definitely are not dolly-appropriate.... neither for the location nor the style of shooting. I'd personally probably do a Ronin in a golf cart.

Also keep in mind that Steadicamming is an art, and one that takes a bit to learn and a long time to really master. Rarely on a real feature will you find a case where your "A" camera operator or the DP is also the Steadicam operator... it's a specialized art.

If you have your mind made up about stabilizing... I do still have a full-size Steadicam rig (yes, a real Cinema Products/Tiffen Steadicam, not one of the cheapo clones) still for sale... ☺ "Low miles, only driven to church on Sundays... what can I do to put you in this Steadicam today?"

http://fantasticplastic.com/steadicam/

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jul 27, 2018 at 11:12:01 pm

What city are you in? Sounds like you don't have access to what we old hands would consider a "real" cinematographer. A guy who is stoned all the time and won't accept 24 fps is, I agree, not a good choice. You are the ultimate decider, and your DP should be able to accept that, after explaining as best as she/he can why her/his own vision is "better."

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 27, 2018 at 11:36:50 pm

Okay thanks. I am in Saskatoon Canada. I went to film school and the school hooked me up with some connections as well as rental houses, but they only have tripods and dollies only. The steadicam guy was someone I met at a convention.

Even though he was stoned and made some mistakes he still did some good work for 60 fps technically.

On very low budget projects though, I feel that I am expected to provide a good number of the equipment such as glidecams and things like that if I want them, which is fine by me. I shouldn't expect them to have them, should I?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 27, 2018 at 11:48:57 pm

Unlike a lot of other kinds of gear... because it is such a specialized thing, when you hire a Steadicam operator they typically come with their own gear. Actually, I'll say more than "typically"... I'll say pretty much always. In fact I've never heard of hiring a Steadicam operator who did not come with his own gear. That's just the way it works.

And in fact, unless they happen to be needed on set for other duties (for example, very often Steadicam operators are also credited as "B" camera operators or second unit DPs) they're typically only hired for the days they are needed, unless a film has a tremendous amount of stabilized shots in it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 28, 2018 at 12:02:13 am

Okay that's what I thought. However, since I have never been able to find a steadicam operator on past projects, is it a bad idea to start get my own glidecam and become my own while working with the DP?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 28, 2018 at 12:05:29 am

Or I could just ask the DP if he/she wouldn't mind practicing and being the operator if that's better, and then I can concentrate more on directing.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 28, 2018 at 12:09:11 am

I would actually prefer to hire a separate steadicam operator but I can never find one. I tried posting adds, but the only responses I get are from DPs who are not steadicam operators.

The only steadicam operator I know is that guy who really wants to shoot in 60 fps all the time. I might be able to talk him down.

However, when I worked with him in the past, and told the DP, I was getting a steadicam operator, the DP, was insulted, and did not like me bringing on a separate steadicam operator, and I think the DP felt like I was trying to take away something from him.

Would most DPs feel this was and feel kind of disrespected if I hired them as DP but then told them that if we need a steadicam, that I am bringing on a separate steadicam operator?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 28, 2018 at 12:17:36 am

No they would not.

Do you think Roger Deakins is his own Steadicam operator? Nope, not in a million years.

It is quite common practice (actually usual practice) for the Steadicam operator to be a different, specialized, and specific crew member.

Go out and get one if you want (and again, mine's for sale!), but don't be fooled by how easy it looks, especially if you are starting from zero. It doesn't take "practice" it takes "training" and fair bit of it to get decent. With a fair bit of hard work one can get reasonable results, but not right out of the box. And it literally takes years to really master it. Inventor Garrett Brown himself has said there are only about a half dozen Steadicam operators that he would call "real crackerjacks." I think he was exaggerating as there are quite a few great ones, but it is something that falls into the "harder than it looks" arena.

I myself have been a Steadicam operator for 20+ years and have owned five rigs through the years (including one that I personally sold to George Lucas... but that's a different story)... and I'd still only put myself in the "pretty decent" to "fairly good" neighborhood. Because I don't do it full time, I'll never really be a master.

I'd hire one and concentrate on the directing. Not many directors will do their own Steadicamming (well, except Robert Rodriguez, but he always does everything himself).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 28, 2018 at 12:21:08 am

Okay thanks, it's probably best to hire one like you said. But where do I find them, since none responded to my adds not just for this shoot, but for past shoots as well.

And even though I went to film school, no students I know where interested in becoming steadicam operators particularly. So where do you find them?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 28, 2018 at 12:25:15 am

https://www.steadicam-ops.com

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 28, 2018 at 12:50:37 am

Okay thanks! Also, I know Roger Deakins wouldn't steadicam himself, but I feel that since I'm not in Hollywood and just making a microbudget horror, I have to do the best I can with what I have, and that might mean asking the DP if he/she is okay with taking on additional camera duties, rather than having a crew at his/her disposable. Is that okay, of me to ask that?

When I worked as a PSM I was also asked to be the boom op at the same time, to save on crew. So I did it and had no problem with it, but is that okay for me to ask someone to do that?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 28, 2018 at 1:09:04 am

If I cannot find a steadicam operator, another method would be to get a dolly instead and get a telephoto lens that is capable of zooming past 50 feet of track, so the tracks will not be in the shot.

However, when shooting shots of actors running on a telephoto, they look like they are running much slower, while following them on the dolly. The telephoto has a slower look so would audiences think this is weird, or would the accept it as natural, as they see it, perhaps?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:05:47 pm

DJI Ronin and golf cart. Seriously!

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 30, 2018 at 9:58:35 pm

Golf cart? How am I suppose to transport around a golf cart? They are too big to fit in any of our cars so how would I get it to the location?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 30, 2018 at 10:00:03 pm

You rent it on location and have it delivered.... and picked up when you are done.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 30, 2018 at 10:09:29 pm

Okay thanks. The DJI Ronin is quite high of a price range than what I was looking for. What if I got the Zhiyun crane gimbal instead, would that look just as good?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 30, 2018 at 10:12:31 pm

Depends on the camera being used.

The Ronin can fly a big camera, up to a tricked out RED, or an Alexa mini (if you have the Popeye arms needed to operate it), whereas that other stabilizer is for small cameras... a DSLR or smaller.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 30, 2018 at 10:17:36 pm

Oh okay, well right now for the current project we are using a DSLR. However, this means if I want to continue using the crane in the future, I would have to continue using DSLRs, if a DP would not have his/her own gimbal.

Also why a gimbal? Wouldn't the glidecam look better, since I've noticed that the gimbal movement looks kind of robotic, and people have complained about this over glidecams, which look smoother?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 30, 2018 at 10:29:45 pm

Plus I thought that Ronins were built for DSLRs particularly, cause in film school, I remember they tried to put a larger camera, on and the ronin couldn't turn as a result, as the camera kept bumping into the corner, if you tried to put anything larger than a DSLR on. So I thought it was only built for those therefore.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 30, 2018 at 10:44:27 pm

Despite the fact that I'm hopping mad at DJI right now, if your project is very low budget and if these needed shots are just a minor part of your film I'd recommend looking at the DJI Osmo Pro or Osmo Raw.

Since I started using the Osmo Pro I have completely abandoned my Steadicam. The Zenmuse X5 camera is actually quite good and intercuts with my C300PL footage just fine. A tricked out Osmo Pro/Raw rig (with a decent lens, CrystalSky monitor, focus wheel, all that jazz) is still going to be fairly expensive... but there might be a rental market for them.

And using it is a zillion times easier than real Steadicamming.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 30, 2018 at 10:51:53 pm

Okay thanks. I took a loot at the Ozmo before on film riot, but I didn't like it because it's an entirely different camera, and I felt that it would be trouble to match the look of that footage, with the footage of the camera that I would be using to shoot most of the rest of the movie though.

Plus I was not able to get a lot of info on how the built in Osmo cam worked. Can you set the exact shutter speed you want for example, so the shutter matches the other camera?

I used a ronin gimbal before on a film school short film project, but I had a lot of problems with it. There were times when it would move uncontrollably. One time during a shoot it started spinning around and around in circles and I could not figure out the problem and it kept doing it. I'm guessing maybe it was the wind, but the breeze was not heavy, just medium. Is a gimbal this sensitive to wind normally? But there are other times when it would move uncontrollably on me.

Another thing is, is that I found the ronin to be very difficult to transport from location to location while shooting. I felt that if I put it down, that it seemed fragile and could break while sitting down in the car. So gimbals just seem a lot more fragile compared to glidecams.

I also hated to have to use my phone with the ronin as the found kept constantly disconnecting from the system. So if I use a gimbal, do I have to use a phone with it, cause I found that to be a real problem, compared to something like a glidecam, where you don't have to rely on electronics.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 30, 2018 at 10:54:09 pm

Another problem I had with gimbals, and I read this was a complaint from other users compared to a glidecam, is that because they are motorized, they do look more robotic, and can have trouble tracking fast moving objects, and I'm shooting a large action sequence, that will have actors moving around very fast, like running, and falling to the ground, and things like that.

So would a gimbal be a problem for that, compared to something that is non-motorized?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 30, 2018 at 11:00:38 pm

I use the Osmo Pro with has the micro-four-thirds Zenmuse X5 camera, which I find cuts with other footage just fine

Yes, I always shoot full manual so I control ISO, aperture, shutter speed, color temp, picture profile and all that jazz.

You can use it with a phone like you did with the Ronin, but I use the DJI CrystalSky monitor (it's basically an Android device but with a screen that is 4x brighter than a phone so it is viewable in sunlight), and I use it hardwired to the Osmo so I'm not dependent on the WiFi connection (you can also use a phone hardwired instead of WiFi).

Here's a commercial spot and corresponding music video where I intercut footage from the Osmo Pro and the Canon C300PL a great deal with an acceptable match, I think....

http://fantasticplastic.com/portfolio/news060.html

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jul 30, 2018 at 11:21:25 pm

Todd, love, love your music!

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 30, 2018 at 11:26:28 pm

aww thanks Rick...

We don't do too many music projects, but here's another that was shot entirely with the Osmo and the Zenmuse X5 camera... it was the only way we could pull off so many cameras serups and do them really really fast.

http://fantasticplastic.com/portfolio/news061.html

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jul 30, 2018 at 11:50:25 pm

Brings tears to my eyes. Fab!

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 31, 2018 at 1:36:54 am

What about the problem with the gimbals moving robotically though? This guy talks about it in this video:

5 minutes into the video, he shows how the crane was late in following the basketball, and for my project I will be following a lot of fast moving actors and objects. He also shows how the running actor was harder to follow with the gimbal compared to the glidecam later in the video.

So I worry about the gimbal being robotic and not reacting fast enough. He also says that if try to go for a curved shot that the gimbal will correct it and make it straight, but what if you want a curved shot?

These limitations concern me, but is there ways around them or anything?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 31, 2018 at 2:27:02 am

I've never felt my stabilized shots looked robotic, nor ever heard of anyone complaining about that.

No patience to watch that dude's video, but not sure that he fully knows what he is talking about. I don't know the capabilities of that particular stabilizer, but most of them (as well as the Osmo) have adjustable sensitivity, and different modes, ranging from less stabilization that is very responsive to your moves, to much smoother and more "mushy" for a more fluid look.

Maybe the Zhiyun's capabilities are limited (after all it is an inexpensive and low-end clone) but every gimbal I've ever seen/used/heard about can do curved shots, of course... including the Osmo. The Osmo will only correct and make a curved shot locked-down-straight if I purposely tell it to (in the case of the Osmo that means depressing and holding the main trigger). And as for not being able to follow things, he either has a cheap unit with limited capabilities, or just doesn't know how to operate it and anticipate action properly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 31, 2018 at 2:40:36 am

Okay thanks, I will try to do more research on the crane, but might go for the Ozmo once I research that one more. So you say that gimbals are better than glidecams right... but why is that or what is the advantage?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 31, 2018 at 2:50:55 am

I never said that gimbals were better than Steadicam-type stabilizers. In fact, a real Steadicam rig, in the hands of a real master operator, absolutely can't be beat.

What I said was that learning to use that type of stabilizer is not nearly as easy as some people think, and it can take quite a bit of training and even more practice to get really really proficient at it. It's not a take-it-out-of-the-box-and-use-it piece of gear. It's just like becoming a proficient DP, or director, or editor, or chef... it takes a lot of work, time, and dedication.

What I said was that gimbals tend to be much easier to learn and a bit more forgiving for novice operators. While it might take months or years to become a great Steadicam op, you can get quite nice shots from a motorized gimbal stabilizer (Movi, Ronin, Osmo, etc.) with only a fair little bit of practice.

I think I've about exhausted the advice I have on this... so wish you well and hope you have a great shoot no matter what gear/methods you choose.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 31, 2018 at 2:55:55 am

Okay thanks. Sorry if I asked too many questions, I just want to make a decision on which route is best and not make a mistake on buying the lesser item, if I get a rig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]