FORUMS: list search recent posts

solo shooting a doc

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
solo shooting a doc
on Mar 13, 2018 at 10:29:31 pm

I've always shot with a small crew, generally 2-3 people, on Beta SP in the early days, later an HVX-X200, then a Canon 60D & GoPro for a documentary feature two years ago. But I'm considering a personal documentary, one in which I'd like to be as unobtrusive in shooting as possible, and I've been considering an iphone (7, 8, X?) with and without a DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal.

I'd welcome any opinions from those who've tried such an approach or similar one.

Thanks in advance.

GW

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: solo shooting a doc
on Mar 16, 2018 at 9:48:01 pm

iPhones with extra software apps to control them, like Filmic Pro and others, can give phenomenal results. Some issues they will have include needing external power, and over-heating, as well as having sufficient memory space.

And you still have the issue of needing to hang a lav or a shotgun mic to get optimal sound.

I don't know if they are less obtrusive than a DSLR or goPro type 4 k action camera, or a more conventional camera shooting from concealment on telephoto.

Unless you mean you're sticking the iPhone in a chest pocket and having the lens peek out over the top?

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
Re: solo shooting a doc
on Mar 17, 2018 at 1:20:03 pm

Thanks, Mark. All good points.

No, I don't generally need to hide my camera, though my GoPro does work that way. I like that I don't look like I'm making a film when shooting with an iphone (unless of course I rig it with lots of gear) but even more important is that I always have my iphone with me.

I haven't fully researched it but I've seen—somewhere—pocket drives that allow offloading an iphone. The heat problem I didn't know about. And then there's the problem of color grading and correction.

Thanks again.

GW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]