FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching Sony fs7 to Sony a7s ii

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Hogan
Matching Sony fs7 to Sony a7s ii
on Jan 19, 2018 at 8:01:41 pm

Hello community,

I am having a bit of a struggle matching my a7s ii with my fs7. Have you found success? If so, what camera settings do you use when matching your a7s with your fs7? Please let me know your settings for each camera.

I have read lots of forms and various settings but most are over 2 years old and don't match quite as well as I need.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Matching Sony fs7 to Sony a7s ii
on Jan 22, 2018 at 5:14:45 pm

Shoot Slog2 or Slog3. Make sure your white balance settings are the same. ISO settings are never going to match exactly between two different camera models, but if you pay attention and do a few tests beforehand to figure out what ISO on the A7sII matches the FS7's native ISO of 2000, you should be fine.

In post, use the same LUT to start your color grade, and make adjustments accordingly. When you make large-scale exposure adjustments, it's best to do them pre-LUT. So add one layer of Lumetri, adjust the macro exposure values, and then add a second layer of Lumetri for the LUT and any fine-tuning of the post-LUT image.

You're not going to have the color depth on the A7sII that you will on the FS7, so your best bet will be to make minor adjustments to the A7sII image, and then use the FS7's latitude to make larger-scale adjustments to match. This isn't ideal, but it's better than trying to squeeze too much out of the A7sII's 8-bit 4:2:0 codec to try to match the FS7's 10-bit 4:2:2.

Return to posts index

Henry Hogan
on Jan 23, 2018 at 10:48:10 pm

Thanks for the reply! I tried slog but wasn’t able to get it to match as well as I would like. I read online that a lot of people discourage using slog on the a7sii because the codec/bit depth aren’t robust enough. Regardless, I wasn’t able to get it to match.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 23, 2018 at 7:50:04 pm

shoot with a color chart. you'll thank me later.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jan 23, 2018 at 8:08:01 pm

^^ Chris is (W)right.

Return to posts index

Henry Hogan
on Jan 23, 2018 at 10:48:49 pm

Agreed! A chart is mandatory!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>