FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Laser Tag

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Strand
Shooting Laser Tag
on Dec 12, 2017 at 5:52:11 pm

Hi all, sounds like we're going to be filming a corporate executive playing a couple games of laser tag. I have not seen the space yet, nor have info on the laser guns themselves, but let's assume typical blacked out room with neon lights.

I was thinking about china balls with some colored bulbs to bring up the ambient light level? Or throw some color gels over a 1x1 flex and bounce off white paper on the ceiling?

At first I thought a7sII because of the low light, but bringing up exposure in any way will obviously blow out the neon lights immediately.

Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks!

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Shooting Laser Tag
on Dec 13, 2017 at 8:09:12 pm

If this is an actual game session, I kinda doubt you'll get to ad ANY supplemental lighting except for *maybe* an on-camera light. If it's a staged even specifically for shooting footage, then you can do anything you want.

Laser tag games don't "require" darkness-the beams are Infra-Red, and for insurance purposes, the game areas usually have adequate and artistically arranged lighting so people running around don't get hurt. Though I can imagine a few areas might have spookier lighting in them, that's likely not the case overall.

My gut says to hang a variable-powered LED panel on the camera and just do what you can, if it's a real game. If the gaming area is kind of open, and there's a balcony for spectators, maybe an LED follow-spot, aimed at your "hero" from a distance, manually tracked by a helper?

(Was doing this back in the 80's in Arlington Heights, IL when it was called "Photon". You wouldn't believe how bulky the gear and helmets were)

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Shooting Laser Tag
on Dec 14, 2017 at 3:27:04 pm

Thanks Mark, appreciate the suggestions hopefully if we get some photos of the place we'll get a better idea. The YouTube videos show the ambient lighting varies a lot of from place to place.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]