FORUMS: list search recent posts

do i really need screenwriting software?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
katerina anachioti
do i really need screenwriting software?
on Dec 1, 2017 at 4:21:06 pm

hi to all,

i have some stories in my mind and i need to write them down, although nothing special...

do i really need screenwriting software or i can do that by a word processor like windows office ?

i know that screenwriting have it's own structure and rules and is not that easy for someone to write aside the talent that is needed

any advice please ?

many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: do i really need screenwriting software?
on Dec 2, 2017 at 12:24:46 am

top writers say, "don't get it right, get it written". I actually write in wordpad because it doesn't create distractions with squiggle's autocorrect.

The main difference in screenwriting format is the use of present tense and active voice. But again, you can always transcribe your good ideas latter into present tense as needed. Punctuation and voice tense will only bog you down. I don't even sentence cap my first words because I have to hit shift!

http://reelauthors.com/screenplay-coverage/screenwriting-present-tense-and-...

there's free screenwriting software including even word templates but final draft is the fastest as it has macros although slightly expensive.

Return to posts index

katerina anachioti
on Dec 2, 2017 at 3:19:11 pm

hi dear chris,

i thank you very much for your kind reply

i have all ready download trelbly (free) and i will install it to try it

i don't want to spend any money on a screenwriting program right now but if is needed in the future why not

thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 5, 2017 at 3:18:18 pm

Another popular free scriptwriting software is Celtx; it will automatically format as you go.

The best thing you can do right now is write, write, write, good, bad, sloppy, neat, doesn't matter, as long as you keep plunking words and ideas down. Keep up the momentum, feed the need to type. Worry about format, etc. when you come back around to editing.

Return to posts index

katerina anachioti
on Dec 5, 2017 at 4:37:49 pm

hi dear mark,

i thank you very much for your kind reply

yes, i fully agree with you

i am not very satisfied with trelby... i will try celtx

i am thinking for a better way to put down my ideas, a program for windows or android for speech to text

then through celtx i can format everything

thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 5, 2017 at 10:18:25 pm

You're welcome. Youtube tutorials for celtx abound, BTW, so be fearless:-)

I will say, using a free version of it thru a slower web connection was sometimes frustrating for me. Might be worth owning it locally on your desktop. There also exist free macro templates for making MS Word into something similar. OK enough until you want to play with the grown-ups, at which point, you'll move up to Final Draft.

Return to posts index

katerina anachioti
on Dec 8, 2017 at 4:36:56 pm

hi dear mark

thanks for the info

i will check youtube for those tutorials

thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 8, 2017 at 5:05:30 pm

All these things are all well and good... but just keep in mind this...

For the better part of a century tens of thousands of screenplays were written with no software at all... just the trusty typewriter.

If I were writing a screenplay today I would definitely use Final Draft (or perhaps one of the other flavors of software)... but I like knowing that even if I didn't have it I'd be able to bang out a script in just a word processor and get all the formatting and everything right. I think all of that jazz is a good thing to know and very helpful in understanding the structure of a script, and I don't mean just the structure on paper.

I think it's a tiny bit akin to how (in the olden days) I used to encourage people to learn to shoot film, even if they never intended to shoot anything except electronic images... because if you can shoot film well, then video is a piece of cake.

I just don't want anyone out there with a good story to tell not to be writing it because they don't have the software to do so. That's just a tool.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

katerina anachioti
on Dec 9, 2017 at 6:12:47 pm

hi dear todd,

i thank you for your reply

i know that is not an easy job for someone to write something for screen especially an exact scenario with dialogues, screens, etc... but at least i will try to write down my stories just like an author

personally i do not feel that i could become an author or scenarist but i want explore the subject

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]