FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting green screen through tinted car windows

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Swanson
shooting green screen through tinted car windows
on Nov 8, 2017 at 1:38:17 am

Hey Folks.
I have a car shoot coming up this week that involves a green screen. The tricky part is that we need to shoot from inside an SUV looking through the back window which is tinted. The talent will then open the rear door, which will reveal the green screen unobstructed. Does anyone have any tips for shooting a green screen through tinted windows or any experience keying a green screen through tinted windows? I plan on shooting some tests tomorrow, but any advice would be much appreciated.
I need to be able to key the green both through the tinted car window, and once the rear door is opened and there is no tinted glass blocking the talent.
My thoughts are to slightly overexpose, so the green is a little brighter through the window tint, but not sure if this is going to work.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: shooting green screen through tinted car windows
on Nov 8, 2017 at 3:41:00 am

Since the window is tinted, one suggestion be to skin the back window (from the outside) with green vinyl, and backlight it. Green vinyl is readily available by the foot on a roll from any place that does vinyl signs. You just put it on with a squeegee, heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun to get it to conform to shape, and then peel if off later. If you do it that way, you can backlight the window with however big an instrument you need to get the tinted window at approximately the same brightness as the "bare" greenscreen you see through the open door. If you are a novice at working with the vinyl or afraid you can't put it on well, drive the vehicle to the sign shop and they'll do it for you.

I'm not a huge greenscreen fan and would generally rather do a shoot practically if possible, but I just directed a commercial where we had action/dialog in two different cars and I decided to go the greenscreen route rather than tow the cars or have our actors actually drive. One of the cars was a convertible (a sweet '67 GTO) so that one was no trouble, but I ran into a bit of the same situation as you with a modern SUV...the rear windows were a bit tinted whereas the front ones were not. Even though the green visible through the rear windows was much darker, I still didn't have any trouble getting clean keys... although we did do it in two layers (one layer keying the lighter shade of green, and another layer keying the other), and just garbage matting out one of them around the window.

Shouldn't be too hard of a setup and I think you'll get good results.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Erik Swanson
Re: shooting green screen through tinted car windows
on Nov 8, 2017 at 1:42:17 pm

Thank you for your reply. That is what I wanted to hear. I have no problem doing multiple keys if needed, I just wasn't sure if the green would show up sufficiently through the tinted windows. I'm about to go shoot a quick test with my own car and a pop up green screen, but you have already have me feeling more positive about it.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]