FORUMS: list search recent posts

knock-off lenses?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
knock-off lenses?
on Nov 1, 2017 at 4:14:30 pm

I've been searching for prime lenses for a 4k camera, and have noticed a supplier whose prices are about 25% less than B&H. They are not an authorized dealer.

Two questions:

1. Should I walk the other way from the get-go?
2. How do I determine the authenticity of a lens?

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: knock-off lenses?
on Nov 1, 2017 at 6:47:57 pm

Are these lenses "knock-offs" or claimed to be genuine brand glass? What return policy?

Sounds dicey to me, but possibly OK. If they are knock-offs (probably from India or China) then there's a possibility they are pretty good. If claimed to be "genuine," also a possibility. Also a distinct possibility in either case they are not good enough. Only tests can confirm. So ability to return at no cost is essential.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 1, 2017 at 10:01:37 pm

Thank you. I will test, which I should do in any case.

I contacted the distributor, who informed me that the vendor was legitimate, even though they were not listed as a dealer on the website. I still can't wrap my head around someone being able to beat all the "regular" dealers by that much. So I will be wary and look for the factory-sealing, etc. in the package.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 2, 2017 at 3:50:56 pm

Is it B-stock or "gray"? I.E., it hasn't got proper paperwork with it for warranty support from the factory, because it was a demo, or refurb?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]