FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beginner and filming wedding for experience! need tips

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Douglass
Beginner and filming wedding for experience! need tips
on Sep 18, 2017 at 12:29:22 pm

Hello,

I'm filming a wedding for a friend. He's not paying me as he can't afford much and he's also letting me film to get experience for weddings so that I eventually can hire to film weddings. I am looking for tips to get the best audio etc in a one time only event.

I talked to a few wedding videographers and I've gotten a few different answers such as not to use a wireless mic lav on the groom because interference can occur (actually have had wireless mic systems interfere several times) during the vows to having the bride and groom rerecord their vows later to sync back in the video. I don't know what to do about the minister though as he will be a one time thing and I can't really have access to him as easily after the wedding.

as far as my equipment here is what I have currently

2 canon xa25 cameras

1 Tascam DR44WL recorder

2 wired lavs

2 sony shotgun mics

2 tripods

Bryce

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Beginner and filming wedding for experience! need tips
on Sep 28, 2017 at 4:41:00 pm

Bryce, "looping" the vows in post would be a nightmare for you, especially if you're not an expert editor. Put the wireless on the groom and the receiver for it on ONE of the two cameras, then inside the groom's jacket pocket, also put a miniature digital audio recorder and one of your wired lavs hidden in/under his boutonniere. Don't have one? You can get a used one on ebay for under fifty bucks, or a simple audio dictation type unit at Walgreens or an office supply store. If the groom ( or you) has a smartphone, you can set it up as a digital audio recorder and hide it in the handkerchief pocket. Used smartphones from pawn shops are cheap stand-alone audio recorders that can be hidden on the lectern, piano, organ, wedding reception head table, etc. That's triple-redundant audio for the edit, at least one of those will work.

Many churches have assertive listening devices for the hard of hearing; you just have to ask for one. Ask to look at one before the day, get your own fresh batteries for it, and an adapter cable to connect it to one of your camera audio inputs, or another recording device. This gets you clean sound from everything that's mic'ed in the church audio system, including the Celebrant/Officiant/Minister.

If you have a go pro or go pro knock-off, Plant it somewhere for a nice master shot of the audience for cut-aways. It will also be handy at the reception.

It will help you immensely to bring your gear to the rehearsal to check the camera placement and angles and to see where things may go wrong, as well as to confirm with the minister what his rules are for where you can and can't go.
Sometimes the bridesmaids and groomsmen will stand in a way that blocks your shot, and only going to the rehearsal wills ave you from finding this out too late.

Good luck, and I'm here if you have more questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]