FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod Tilting Problem

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Karner
Tripod Tilting Problem
on May 15, 2017 at 1:10:08 pm

Hi everyone. I have Manfrotto MA055CX3 carbon legs and a 501hdv fluid head. I shoot a lot of shows and I'm usually center in the auditorium. For a while now, I've had a weird problem. If I'm shooting center, the footage is level, but when I pan left or right, the image starts to tilt. The only way I can describe it is if you look forward, then slowly turn your head but also tilt your head sideways while you do it. Does anyone have any thoughts on why this may be? I feel like everything is locked down on my tripod. Whenever I engage the leveler to rise up or down, it does have to become loose, but I'm just perplexed as to why the tilt is so extreme and I do tighten it back up when I'm done adjusting. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Tripod Tilting Problem
on May 16, 2017 at 8:15:20 pm

Your tripod head is not level. The head itself is probably tilted up, but you are using the "tilt" feature of the head to bring it down. When you are pointing straight ahead, it looks level. But it isn't.

If the head doesn't have one, you should buy a little round level and attach it to the head.

Good luck.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Nick Karner
on May 23, 2017 at 1:51:05 pm

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 30, 2017 at 6:37:31 pm

If that doesn't fix it, you may have some barrel distortion in the lens on wide shots. It can look like you have keystoning happening.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]