FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon c300 mark ii vs Sony FS7 Lens Test

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micolli Davis
Canon c300 mark ii vs Sony FS7 Lens Test
on Mar 6, 2017 at 4:45:59 pm

Hi guys,

I have been given a task to do a camera and lens test. The task is to do a lens test between the Canon c300 mark ii and Sony FS7. Compare the differences e.g. the lens resolution, lens contracts, chromatic aberration, barrel and pin cushion distortion and vignetting. What are the massive differences between this cameras in terms of lens test, I just want to know if any of one have done this camera lens test in the past or similar test in relation to this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Micolli

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon c300 mark ii vs Sony FS7 Lens Test
on Mar 6, 2017 at 5:00:53 pm

That's a tiny bit confusing....

Are you doing a LENS test?... or a CAMERA test?

Your title says LENS test, but that usually means comparing multiple lenses on the SAME camera or other test instruments.

If you only have ONE lens and are using it on the C300 and FS7 bodies, then really that's a comparison of the quality of the cameras, not the lens.

It's mostly confusing because although while it sounds like you are doing a CAMERA test, most if not all of the factors you want to check (barrel and pin cushion distortion and vignetting, etc.) are purely functions of the lens, and will not change no matter what camera body you use. If, for example, a lens breathes when mounted to one body, then it will breathe when mounted to any body... the actual camera doesn't matter. That's true for most if not all of the test factors you mentioned.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 7, 2017 at 12:22:54 am

More than a tiny bit confusing--very confusing, since none of the attributes (the lens resolution, lens contracts[what is this?], chromatic aberration, barrel and pin cushion distortion and vignetting) have anything to do with the camera. Also, Micolli, we can't tell you about our lens tests if you don't tell us what lenses you're looking at.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:23:22 pm

[Blaise Douros] "More than a tiny bit confusing--very confusing"

Exactly. I would have to question the results of any test when these ideas can be mixed up. Will it really be that useful to bother doing in the end?

Return to posts index

Micolli Davis
on Mar 9, 2017 at 10:29:11 pm

Hi Blaise,
Sorry for this confusion this is a Lens test but using two different camera to compare.

Thanks

Micolli

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:21:43 pm

God, there is so much confusion. I'm so confused at what you think you're going to accomplish. I'm confused at whether you understand the words I'm typing.

If the lens has +1 barrel distortion on one camera, it will have EXACTLY the same +1 barrel distortion on another camera. Why? Because the lens will always refract light the exact same way.

If the lens has a certain number of lines of resolving power on one camera, it will have EXACTLY the same resolving power on another camera. Why? Because the lens will always refract light the exact same way.

Do I need to go on?

Do you really, honestly believe that when you put it on another camera, the results are going to be different? Because IT WILL NOT CHANGE WHEN YOU PUT IT ON ANOTHER CAMERA. All you're doing is putting a different sensor behind the exact same glass.

Sheesh. Maybe you're just trolling. If so, you got me, good one.

Return to posts index

Micolli Davis
on Mar 12, 2017 at 3:00:10 pm

Hi Blaise,

Thanks for this, completely get it now. I appreciate your help I will do more research.

Many thanks

Micolli

Return to posts index

Micolli Davis
on Mar 12, 2017 at 3:09:34 pm

Hi T2,
Thanks for your reply you are right. Its the comparison of both camera quality. Using one or two different lens . However I will need to do more research about this to get it right.

Many thanks
Michael

Micolli

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 13, 2017 at 11:09:48 pm

[Micolli Davis] "Its the comparison of both camera quality. "

The FS7 is a better overall value and good for high speed work, but the C300 Mark II will have a better color and more autofocus features to get you shots that might otherwise require a 1st AC and a follow focus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]