FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dedolight LEDs + Battery Power quandary...

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Turner
Dedolight LEDs + Battery Power quandary...
on Jan 3, 2019 at 5:04:08 pm

I’m reconfiguring my lighting set-up, and have purchased a bi-colour Dedolight DLED3, with the DT3-BI-BAT power supply. The supply has a Max Power of 45w, and an input voltage of 10.8 - 18v DC / 4,2 - 2,5A. I’ve connected it to a very bulky Bescor battery, that I received along with a bunch of Kessler gear - I believe it is 12v. With the light at full power, it will work for about 20 seconds, and then turn off. The ‘ON’ light on the power supply then starts flashing. Does anyone know what this means? I don’t know a great deal about electrics, but I’m assuming that the light is drawing too many volts/amps (not sure which, or is it both?) at full power because, if I turn the light down to about 70% power, it stays on. My question is, is this damaging to either my light or my battery? Can I work with this set-up at 70% safely? And what sort of battery do I need to power the light at 100%? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Dedolight LEDs + Battery Power quandary...
on Jan 3, 2019 at 7:05:20 pm

That flashing "on" light, and the operation at 70% are definitely classic symptoms of the instrument simply not getting enough juice... I would say your battery is definitely underpowered.

On the upside, and I can't absolutely swear to this, but I do not think there is any danger to the instrument in operating it this way. There's been many times, usually after quite a while of shooting, that I've had a light that would no longer operate at full power but performed fine when turned down a bit. And often Astras (which I use a lot) will run out of gas at full blast, but when flipping the switch to go to the fanless lower-power mode they work fine.

For LEDs like those, we always go with full goldmount bricks, either AB or some other brand, and have never had any trouble.

So.... if you need the Dedos full power, I think you need new batts. However, if you are able to get by with them turned down a bit, or never have any need for them full blast, I don't think you are hurting anything.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Dedolight LEDs + Battery Power quandary...
on Jan 8, 2019 at 9:15:10 pm

The amps available sounds insufficient. What does the labeling on the battery pack say is the MAh rating?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]