FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to gel a window with panes from inside

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris pike
How to gel a window with panes from inside
on Mar 8, 2018 at 7:48:56 pm

I'm doing a shoot on the third floor of an old office building with too much light coming in the windows. I dont' have access to the windows from outside. The two windows have eight panes each. It would be too time consuming to gel each pane individually. I guess I have to hang one gel over all the panes. I wonder how that would look? Or maybe I should just temporarily install a curtain? Any suggestions? Here is what the window looks like, but it is three stories up.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: How to gel a window with panes from inside
on Mar 13, 2018 at 12:23:40 am

Is this the top floor? If so, do you have access to the roof to where you could drop a 12X12 double net over the edge? Weight the bottom edge with pipe & drop ropes tied to the ends to the ground for tying off.

If not, going with the set dressing route of curtains might be the quickest solution.

Return to posts index

chris pike
on Mar 13, 2018 at 2:16:05 am

Hi Mark, thanks for the comment. I don't think we have access to roof. We ended up going with curtains. They were obviously a quick solution, and they worked well I think. I'll send you a link to the result in a few days.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 13, 2018 at 3:38:18 am
Last Edited By Mark Whitney on Mar 13, 2018 at 3:40:08 am

Please do. I always like to see how a problem gets solved.

Return to posts index

chris pike
on Mar 19, 2018 at 1:53:45 am

Hi Mark, here is a part of the video, with the curtains:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8vtv8DeqOjt0XsDYxOAaQ/videos

The curtain on the left is a denser fabric, it was a bed sheet actually, but I think it still wasn't quite dense enough. What do you think of my lighting?

I had a friend of mine do the voice over, but I'm not sure her voice is right.

Thanks for any feedback, Chris

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 19, 2018 at 3:16:26 am

Hey Chris,

For this sort of piece, the lighting is entirely appropriate. It's not like you're going to want a strong contrast dramatic look for an excercise video. While I might have hemmed the fabric to be a bit shorter, they served the purpose of knocking the window brightness down so they didn't particularly draw the eye to them. It aslo gave those bland walls a bit of texture. Just gelling or NDing them wouldn't have bought you much. You'd just have bright, square holes.

The VO didn't bother me at all. She's clear, succinct & well paced. I could point you to any number of commercial product vids where frankly I just cringe at the narration.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]