FORUMS: list search recent posts

Large Studio White CYC Grid Lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Coleman McClung
Large Studio White CYC Grid Lighting
on Feb 21, 2018 at 6:09:13 pm

Hey everyone! We're building a 16' x 30' CYC wall with a 45 degree corner in a large studio setting and currently discussing the best way to light it. I know this is a common forum discussion, but it seems like the last few were a ways in the past and I want to make sure emerging tech is taken into account.

We want to go as LED friendly as possible and it seems like just throwing up rows of Geminis is a pretty common approach, or you could hang an even distribution of Spacelights and have broader fill over the wall. Both ways have disadvantages, specifically with the Spacelights you'll have a ton of spill onto your talent/hero props that would take away from unique approaches to lighting your subject differently with every shoot that comes in.

What's the best approach for a larger studio if you're going for the most even lighting possible for the CYC and money is no object? What's best for separating a permanent lighting setup hung from a grid and the lighting that different crews are going to set up for each shoot?

I appreciate any insight.

Return to posts index

Glen Harn
Re: Large Studio White CYC Grid Lighting
on Apr 3, 2018 at 9:42:17 pm

Coleman, we're a niche manufacturer of high-end commercial grade lights for TV studios. We're deeply involved with lighting green walls (TV weather) and cyc walls, small and large. Most LED offerings will be panel lights or Fresnels. Panels are fine for talent up close, but they just don't throw and thus make poor cyc-wall lights. LED Fresnels are expensive and you'll need quite a few. You need a big light with a big wash that throws like Nolan Ryan without bells and whistles you don't need. Then you can wash from almost directly above all the way down without splashing on your talent. You're welcome to call me to discuss. I have a number of questions. You can reach me at PrimeTime Lighting Systems, Inc., Addison TX. 214 393 5998.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]