FORUMS: list search recent posts

simple adapter - mic stand to light stand?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Kenneth
simple adapter - mic stand to light stand?
on Nov 17, 2017 at 10:28:20 pm

Hi All

I have a really nice, heavy boom mic stand that I'd like to start using to hold a 12x12 LED that I use for a key light. Would be so convenient, but I tried to piece together an adapter and nothing I have works.

I need to from the usual 5/8 male treaded mic mount to a 5/8 stud/clamp style light mount. Is there an adapter I can buy somewhere that will do this? I can't find one!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: simple adapter - mic stand to light stand?
on Nov 17, 2017 at 11:18:30 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Nov 17, 2017 at 11:19:43 pm

Weirdly enough even after a few decades of DP'ing I have never had the need to put a lighting instrument on a mic stand (you'd think that would have come up, but I guess it hasn't), so I decided to step over into the studio to try it...

I'm not sure what is going on at your place or what exact hardware you have, but I had no trouble popping an instrument with a standard baby-pin receiver yoke (5/8") on top of a regular ol' run-of-the-mill mic stand. All I had to do was unscrew and take off the little "lock nut" that was on top of the mic stand (middle picture below). The receiver on the yoke of that particular instrument (I tried it with a LitePanels Astra) was a little "loose," so I thought maybe it was more forgiving than other hardware would be, so I tried a plain ol' Matthews grip head since I knew the tolerance would be a lot tighter on that, and it fit just fine....

Maybe you could post some pics of what you're trying to do and exactly how your particular hardware is?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dave Kenneth
Re: simple adapter - mic stand to light stand?
on Nov 18, 2017 at 4:29:39 pm

Embarrassingly, you were correct and I didn't realize the locknut could come off because it was on there so tightly. I thought it was in a fixed position! I broke out the visegrips and got it loose, and now my little LED is at the end of the boom. Problem solved, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]