FORUMS: list search recent posts

LED light panels causing headaches. Any ideas?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Hintermann
LED light panels causing headaches. Any ideas?
on Sep 11, 2017 at 3:31:31 am

When televising live city council meetings, we augment the chamber lights with 4 LED light panels (similar to your standard Genaray or Ikan panels with adjustable temp. and brightness). Recently, one of the staff members has been complaining about headaches and fatigue after exposure to the lights for several hours at a time. I tried reducing the brightness some, but that didn't seem to work, because I was informed that they'll be turning them off entirely during productions in order to avoid a workers' comp situation. This obviously causes a serious problems for our productions.

Has anyone dealt with anything similar before? I doubt it'd help, but here's a sketch of the layout of the chamber... it's pretty simple: http://i.imgur.com/fAsYrrA.png

I'm considering trying out some tungsten lights, but I hoped to get some input before testing anything. I don't know how many chances they'll give me ;)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: LED light panels causing headaches. Any ideas?
on Oct 16, 2017 at 9:34:24 pm

It may be because of *contrast* .

Walls behind the light sources may be too dark in relation to the lights hitting the talent. The eye's iris wants to open up, because of the relatively dark wall beyond the lights, but the lights then seem too glare-y. The eye strain translates into headaches and fatigue. This is something that bothers older people more.

Before they shut you down, you could ask them to let you try an experiment, and wash the wall behind the lights with a soft light to just bring the contrast ratio down a bit. Also, add more diffusion to the LED's and try to push them farther to left and right of the center line, get them out of the direct eyeline of the talent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]