Lighting For Large Green Screen inside small studio

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dallas kruse
Lighting For Large Green Screen inside small studio
on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:09:26 pm

I'm a hobbyist.

I have a Canon 5D Mark III.

I have a couple q's about my green screen. I have a standard Green Screen muslin sheet (10x20). I have an odd shaped studio.
Tall ceilings, which are great, but not my in the way of depth. So, I have trouble getting my actors away from the green screen and have to deal with shadows.

I do have the luxury of hanging lights if need be, but wondering, whats the best (or best for the price) way to totally wash a green screen in light?

I'm attaching a photo of something I shot last night. I turned to green screen to be able to have it be under the actors feet since we were shooting full body.

here's a rough sketch of the layout of my small studio.

Any help in fixtures, placement, techniques are MUCH appreciated.

I'm sort of Guerrilla style but want to move into better techniques and gear.

Music Producer dabbling in Video.
FCPX. Adobe CS6.
Canon T4i.

Return to posts index

dallas kruse
Re: Lighting For Large Green Screen inside small studio
on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:18:58 pm

Or would it actually just be easier to get a few 4x8 plywood panels and paint them Chroma green to help diminish wrinkles as well?

FCPX. Adobe CS6.
Canon T4i.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:19:21 pm

There's absolutely nothing wrong with guerrilla style gear. I've been doing this for 25 years and while I have a lot of the very highest-end toys you can buy, I'm not afraid to go the cheap or homemade route when that's the best or most economical way to do it.

For wallwashing or greenscreen washing without breaking the bank, I would not hesitate to recommend hitting Home Depot or Lowes and buying 4' florescent shop fixtures, which you can get for about $15 or so. I use these on stage here in our studio ALL the time because they are fast, easy, cheap, VERY low profile, and actually put out very pretty and nice even light.

If you want to get fancy you could put real Kino tubes in them (or even the green tubes), but honestly for greenscreen work since high CRI is not at all a factor, the off-the-shelf tubes from the hardware store would be just fine... you can grab either daylight or tungsten balanced ones, depending on what the rest of your lighting plot is (but then again, since it's just for the greenscreen even that isn't super critical, it's ok to mix color temps). You might have to shoot with a clearscan shutter speed to make sure you don't have any flickering, but I think I got lucky in that the ballasts in the instruments I have don't flicker at all, so I can shoot at "regular" shutter speeds just fine.

SOMEwhere on the COW (years ago now) I posted quite a few pictures and DIY instructions on how to turn cheap shop lights into very usable and mountable instruments. I'll try to look for it when I get a chance, or feel free to search yourself. It was likely in the Lighting Design or Cinematography forum.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

dallas kruse
on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:36:46 pm

Thats great info!

So, I'd put my actor as far away from the Green Screen as possible ... and put the Fixtures to light the green screen in between my actor and the screen?

Like this crude mock-up?

There's no real depth dimension to this illustration, but, assume the actor is about 5-10' away and the light fixtures are a few feet above and in front of the green screen.

FCPX. Adobe CS6.
Canon T4i.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:43:56 pm

Actually I also usually put a couple of instruments (on C-stands on the floor) positioned vertically on either side of the actor. Sometimes I will add one or two horizontally up in the grid like your drawing shows, but usually I really just use the vertical ones on the floor. Now, I'm usually not shooting head-to-toe including the floor, so with a bigger setup like that, yes, I'd probably use those above as well. And might find I need some sort of little special to hit the feet area to illuminate it enough and kill shadows as much as possible.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

dallas kruse
on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:46:23 pm

ah yes.

like so?

FCPX. Adobe CS6.
Canon 5D Mark III, T4i.

Small recording studio.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:55:50 pm

Yup.

And since this is front view I can't tell how far from the drop the instruments are positioned, but obviously they need to be a fair distance in front of it to wash the backdrop evenly.

Also, remember that you don't need any more green than is needed to cover your talent. Even if a wide frame is the completed shot, unless your talent is walking around and taking up all the real estate on the frame you don't have to have green any wider than will cover them... the rest is just garbage matted out. Ergo, you could put your side instruments in a lot more, if that helped even the lighting, as long as they don't interfere with the talent's blocking. Heck, in probably half or more of my greenscreen shoots you can see a lighting instrument (or two) in frame if you look at the raw footage... it's all removed in post.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

dallas kruse
on Mar 15, 2017 at 5:00:46 pm

Good points. As you can see in the frame shots in my first post, there's quite a bit of "wasted" sides in the frame but the actor was performing to a song so I needed to pull back my camera to make room for his movements.

I'm going to go purchase some fixtures and try it out.

The big issue I was/am having is the shadows between his legs. His right leg is cast a shadow in between his legs and having to mask that out was tedious. Hopefully the new fixtures will help with this.

Great pointers!

FCPX. Adobe CS6.
Canon 5D Mark III, T4i.

Small recording studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]