COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
battery power to a kino select 30 DMX
on Feb 1, 2017 at 2:59:15 pm

trying to power this light by battery:

Kino Flo Select 30 DMX System B&H # KISYSS30120U MFR # SYS-S30-120U

What do you think of this?:
IDX System Technology Two DUO-C95 V-Mount Batteries & Charger/Power Supply Kit B&H # IDVL2XBK (B&H Kit)

What interconnect do I need to run it to the light?

This was my/your original choice:
BLUESHAPE 2 V-Mount Battery Power Station B&H # BLBLSPWS2 MFR # BLS-PWS2

Does the above charger replace the need for this?

Any better options?

Any suggestions on how to mount these to a stand. I have these Matthews Super Mafer Clamp with 5/8" Pin - Black
as well as as well as infinity arms.

for future reference:
any units you think are better LED light sources.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: battery power to a kino select 30 DMX
on Feb 1, 2017 at 3:52:55 pm

Hi Craig...

Those batteries should work, but you'll have to do a bit of DIY...

You'll need to be able to wire two of those batteries together (wired in a series, not parallel). Firstly, you'll need two V-mount receivers. I'd hit eBay for those, they'd be much cheaper there (look at eBay item 131876132240). Then, you'd need to wire them together in a series.

Then you'll need a way to attach them to something. I personally like to attach batteries directly to instruments, if possible (just to keep everything together and avoid cables). You probably could screw those right to the back of the Kino... BUT that's a very lightweight instrument and by attaching several pounds of batteries to the back of it that's kinda defeating the purpose of keeping things lightweight. Instead, I'd probably get a backing plate of some kind, I'd personally probably just cut a quarter-inch piece of Masonite the appropriate size and shape and use that to make a backing plate. You could mount the two batteries side by side, or back to back, or however works best. There's probably several hardware options you could come up with to attach such a plate to your Mafer clamp so that you could clamp it to a light stand riser.

As for cabling the thing together, again that will require a bit of DIY, just finding the right bits and pieces and soldering it together... I'm not sure what fitttings/connectors that Kino uses so I can't give too much advice there.

You asked "Any better options?"... if that is asking about batteries for the Kino that you already have, not really, those would probably work as well as anything. If you were talking about the actual instrument (you don't have the Kino yet), then I'd look at LitePanels Astra heads instead. We started using them a few months ago and they are total awesomeness. I think they are going to provide more output than that Kino (not sure about that, but I think so), bi-color, rugged, and you can power them with one battery that just snaps right on the yoke. They are probably the best instruments I've used in a long long time. Not dirt cheap, but not wickedly expensive, either... I think I the $1300-1400 range these days. You'd need a battery connector kit (either V-mount or Goldmount, I use Goldmount) which is a couple hundred... although I made my own for free since I had some Goldmount plates already laying around.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]