FORUMS: list search recent posts

Studio backdrop

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark DAgostino
Studio backdrop
on Jan 12, 2017 at 2:57:11 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this.
I am outfitting a new crazy small 12' x 18' studio. One wall is painte for green screen. I'd like tio be able to pulkl dow a white and/or black background when needed. In our current studio we have a pole mounted in the ceiling with a roll of photographers paper that can be pulled down. Since this studio will be used for 1-2 talking heads, almost exclusively, needing to pull a roll to curve down and on the floor is not necessary, (We have another studio for the bigger stuff).
So the paper roll seems like a waste. Hanging a drape on a track is not practical since the studio is so small.
Does anyone have a suggestion for something like a 12' wide shade that can be pulled down and is something that may actually exist for this purpose?
Thanks!

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Studio backdrop
on Jan 12, 2017 at 4:00:39 pm

Not totally sure why paper won't work or is impractical... it's definitely the way I would go. You said a that was a "waste," but a roll of seamless is probably far the least expensive and most flexible of the solutions that I can think of. You could put a white roll and a black roll on a background roller on the ceiling, even swap others out if needed. Seamless paper is dirt cheap, disposable, swappable, etc...

BUT, you said that you don't want to do that for whatever reasons, and I respect that.

The only other thing I can readily think of is just a standard pop-up collapsible background....

https://www.amazon.com/Fancierstudio-Collapsible-Backdrop-backdrop-backgrou...

...which would seem to be fine since you said this was for 1-2 talking heads. But then again, you were asking about pull-down shades that were twelve feet wide, so it's probably nowhere near big enough if you are trying to cover that kind of area (most seamless is not that wide, either... 10' wide is the norm).

For black you could just get a large grommeted backdrop and put it up as needed, keep hooks in the wall to hang the grommets on. White would be harder, since unlike black, wrinkles would matter... You can get a 10x20' cloth backdrop very cheaply, especially on eBay. I bought one for next to nothing last year and was really surprised at the quality of it... even just how they could sell that much cloth that cheaply....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-20-Ft-Black-Muslin-Photo-Backdrop-Photography-...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Jan 12, 2017 at 6:32:48 pm

Thanks, Todd,
My only objection to the paper roll was the waste in an environmental sense, (yeah, tree-hugger). However, your point is well taken. In fact, that's exactly what we have in our larger studio. I did check out the eBay link. Dang, you aren't kidding about the cost. I may start there.
I appreciate the help:)

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 12, 2017 at 6:49:14 pm

The one I bought didn't have grommets, but did have a sewn-in pipe pocket along one edge (which was fine since that's how I used it anyway). It would be easy enough to fix that with a ten-buck grommet kit from Home Depot.

I was pretty dumbfounded at the quality of it... very nice and heavy cotton muslin and perfectly dyed. We bought it just for a temporary setup, but it's actually nicer than the black cloth cyc we have in the studio permanently installed around two sides of the stage. I might just buy a couple more and swap them out.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]