FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Katz
Lighting
on Jan 3, 2017 at 7:38:27 pm

I will be shooting in an office which has fluorescent lighting. I have daylight bulbs and incandescent bulbs. Is one any better than the other to use with fluorescent lighting? I may not have enough lighting to use if the fluorescent lighting is turned off.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Lighting
on Jan 3, 2017 at 8:15:57 pm

If you have to use the office flos on, the best choice would simply be to use whatever instruments most closely match that light... whether it be your daylight or tungsten-balanced blubs.

Now, in the "olden days" that would have been easy to figure out, since the office flos would have had a fairly high color temp, and your daylight sources would probably be the best choice.

That's not true any more though, since consumer flo tubes come in a variety of color temps now... from "cool" to "warm" to "soft" (which is sort of in-betweenish). And of course it's not very exact, the consumer "cool" tubes won't be exactly 5600°, just like the "warm" ones won't be 3200° either (but at least they will be in the ballpark). So it's hard to say, my advice would be to look at the flos present in the office and see what color temp they are. It's pretty easy to just eyeball it and judge... if they seem pretty cool use your daylight instruments, if they seem quite warm use your tungsten. If they seem somewhere in between (probably being "soft" tubes, and usually float around 4K°), then I'd probably go with daylight instruments, although they might have to be gelled to warm them up a bit.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Siegel
on Jan 3, 2017 at 8:44:50 pm

Another idea to look into, see if the existing ceiling bulbs will fit into your fixtures. This way the color match will be spot on.

Rick Siegel
Director of Photography

http://www.ricksiegel.net
IMDB: http://imdb.com/name/nm0797002/

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Jan 12, 2017 at 2:51:00 pm

Throwing a 1/2 plusgreen gel on your lights will also help reduce the green spike.
On a side note, I recently shot in a newly renovated conference room. There was no way to turn off the overhead "flourescents" so I asked to open the panels and simply unscrew the bulbs. To my happy surprise, all the fixtures were LED. No green spike. Downside; they couldn't be disconnected.

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]