FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjusting light temperature

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raf Zimon
Adjusting light temperature
on Dec 28, 2016 at 12:09:59 pm

Hi,
Can someone suggest the best way/product to adjust color temperature to whatever number I need? Let's say I shoot in a place that has overhead fluorescent lights at 5000k and my LED lights are 5600k. Which gels/filters should I use to balance them? Which product would you recommend? Is there a chart or some kind of an online reference I can follow to balance the lights every time?

Thank you for any words of advice!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Adjusting light temperature
on Jan 13, 2017 at 6:07:40 pm

Usually, you use CTB gel to warm up 5600K. See this link, However, knowing what the resultant color temp is requires a meter that accurately reads the color temp. It'd be a lot easier to use a camera which can adjust to the existing color temp and white balance itself. Or, shoot in a way you can do it in post.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 13, 2017 at 6:39:27 pm

[John Fishback] "Usually, you use CTB gel to warm up 5600K."

Umm... I know that John knows what he's talking about, so I think this was just a typo (unless he's thinking about it backwards from what I am). To warm up your 5000°K LEDs to match the 5600°K ceiling flos, you'd actually use CTO on the LEDs, not CTB.

If he was talking about putting gel on all the overheads (which is doable, but a lot harder), then yes you'd use CTB on them, but that would be to cool them down (raise the K temperature), not warm them up.

CTB is blue gel, "Color Temperature Blue," usually used for raising a color temp (cooling it)
CTO is orange gel, "Color Temperature Orange," usually used to lowering a color temp (warming it)

At any rate, you're not going to need much to warm your LEDs from 5600K to 5000K... that's not much of a jump at all... you certainly won't need full CTO, or even half CTO. My guess is quarter-CTO or even eighth. The easiest cheapest thing would be to buy 1/8 CTO and see if that works. If it's not enough, just double it up.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 13, 2017 at 6:47:53 pm

Thanks, Todd. I did mean CTO.

Return to posts index

Raf Zimon
on Feb 12, 2017 at 12:33:29 am

Thank you!