Bake In FX

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Stewart
Bake In FX
on Jul 29, 2020 at 6:52:56 pm
Last Edited By Dan Stewart on Jul 29, 2020 at 7:53:42 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible to 'bake in' FX in MC?

I've got a timeline very heavy with FX at 4k raw and I would like to send an embedded AAF to the grade - but with the FX burnt in so I dont have to chase the time remapping etc through the rest of post.

Basically a consolidate/transcode that also does a mixdown of the FX on each clip.

Sorry if I'm being a dufus..
Dan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Bake In FX
on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:12:29 pm

SOrry, there is no way to provide the RAW file with FX baked in. You need to mix it down in order to bake it in. Mix it down to a DNxHQ file...or ProRes 4444 or other high end codec, and then layer it on top of the original shot (keeping the original for tracking purpose).

The only way to bake in anything is Video Mixdown, or an output.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:18:06 pm

Thanks Shane. Do you kow of a way to automate mixing the clips on the timeline down or rendering them without having to do them individually and without them becomming one big file?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 31, 2020 at 5:44:50 pm

That's how mixing down works. It basically renders what it sees as one file, everything baked in. A separate file with only the sequence timecode, not the individual file timecode. So a mixdown of the entire sequence is one file of the entire sequence...and only has sequence timecode. Need them individually, then you need to do it one at a time...and again, only sequence timecode. And it'll mix down to the sequence settings.

Have dissolves, those are baked in. You need individual files, that have handles to account for dissolves, but with effects baked in. So this is not what you'll want to use...just saying that's what does what you are asking.

You say this is the last time you use Avid for anything...well, I ask... what NLE does what you want? Does Premiere Pro bake in the effect to the RAW and output individual files? Nope. Does Resolve? Nope. Does FCX? Nope...that doesn't even consolidate with handles anymore, it gives full clip only. No NLE will bake effects into a clip, output it RAW, or with the settings of the clips you are using, and retain metadata like source TC, file name, Tape name...any of that.

What you have to do with those files that are heavily effected are...
- bake in the effect and send that file to be graded, with effects.
- send the file WITHOUT the VFX to be graded, and then add the VFX later
- send all the files to a VFX editor/compositor to have them grade and do the VFX.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Aug 1, 2020 at 2:10:40 pm

Thanks again Shane.
For the record I decided to open up the sequence exposing all frames used (under dissolves, comps etc) and mixdown every used frame to a DNX444 12 bit file, then reimported it, chopped it up by putting it above the cut as you suggested and jumping through the cuts, recreated the dissolves etc, and then exported THAT as an AAF - essentially a single videofile with a ref AAF. Im told its gone to resolve fine, still waiting to hear on baselight but hopefully it's bulletproof.
If only Avid could add that as a button in the AAF window..
Cheers
Dan

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Aug 1, 2020 at 10:10:14 pm
Last Edited By Dan Stewart on Aug 2, 2020 at 5:30:22 pm

Just in case anyone from Avid reads this; specifically I am asking for buttons in the AAF media settings (and ideally the video mixdown dialogue);

Bake in:

* All FX (selects all below)
* Motion FX (*set all motionFX to /Fluidmotion/ )
* Frameflex
* All other non-Edit protocol compatible FX

* Active Video tracks only

You could add to this list if there's demand for other specific FX but this would do it for me.
Oh and btw, I add another vote to a promote button for image resize to frameflex!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:34:34 pm

Also I'm just tinkering and a mixdown ignores any part of a clip thats in a dissolve. It looks like I'll have to pull my sequence to pieces, individually render each clip in turn, then rebuild the film from the new media I create.
Think this might be the last time we use MC!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]