AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Media Composer Image Import/Linking color shift issue (greyed out)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philipp Markus
Media Composer Image Import/Linking color shift issue (greyed out)
on Jul 28, 2020 at 7:55:51 am

Hi all,

first of all: thanks for this great forum. It always helps a lot.

I want to finally export my film and send it to some festivals as their deadlines are this week but we experience a severe issue when importing the final stills for the film.

screenshot2020-07-26at22.11.11.png

As you can see, Avid is greying out all images including the letterboxes. Changing the source settings of the linked material in Colorspace doesn’t really help. If I do scale from legal to full range, the image just gets oversaturated, sometimes even blurry, even though the letterboxes are black then. All other options don’t work, leaving the image greyed out.
Also importing did not change anything., neither with the option keep at legal range or scale to full range. The images look fine by itself outside of Avid and are in sRGB, the only option in Lightrooms besides Adobe RGB. I am working in Rec 709. Do you have any idea what I can do to solve the issue?
I am working on a Mac Mojave and Avid 2018.12.9, our official university version.

Thank you and Best
Philipp

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Media Composer Image Import/Linking color shift issue (greyed out)
on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:02:17 am

Well first off this is something that can and does work almost everyday in Post.
The image wasn't much help as you mentioned bar's but there weren't any in image.

Avid works with TV/studio/legal levels.
In HD rec709 for 8 bit that's 16 for back 235 for peak white.
The first step is to ensure all the footage ingested is correctly in that level range. AMA linking and ensuring the correct source colour adapter is key here. MC won't always get that correct. You need to check each source before it's cut into a timeline.
Adding or removing a colour adapter after a clip has been used in a sequence won't update that timeline clip unless you manually refresh the sequence.
Then the grade has to be done within those TV/studio/legal levels.
Possibly using a correctly set up safe limiter effect.
Using external scopes is ideal but the Y waveform in colour corrector mode is useful as it has 16 and 235 marked showing 0 - 100% and the waveform goes from green to white if you exceed those limits.
Then it comes to export. You need to decide the codec needed and the the output level scaling.
To make the video look good on desktop playback or the Web scale levels from legal to full scale.

If you want stills it's safer to export them from with in MC again scaling on export as Tiff or whatever.

If you have letter boxing it's important it's at digital 16 (for 8 bit) in MC not higher or lower.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]