AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

RED AMA plugin doesn't work

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nele Mertens
RED AMA plugin doesn't work
on Jul 27, 2020 at 3:58:42 pm

I have Avid Media Composer 8.5.2 and I'm trying to link to R3D files. I downloaded the plugin from their website (8.5.2 wasn't listed, so I tried both the recommended version for 8.5.1 as the one for 8.6). The plugin shows up in my Link window, so I select it instead of autodetect and then I select the R3D file, but it doesn't want to link. I've also tried selecting the RDC folder as well as the RDM folder, and it doesn't want to know.

I then tried to install several other versions of the plugin, including the latest one and the oldest one. Every time I try a new version of the plugin, I delete the .avx file from the AMA folder in AVX2_Plug-ins, then I install the new plugin and I restart Avid.

No matter which plugin I try, none of them are working. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can someone help? Many thanks in advance!!88

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: RED AMA plugin doesn't work
on Jul 27, 2020 at 5:57:40 pm

Have you tried linking directly to the .R3D itself?

Michael

Return to posts index

Nele Mertens
on Jul 27, 2020 at 6:03:01 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for replying to my post.

Yes, I've tried selecting the R3D file itself, Avid gives an error message with a link to the AMA plugin website - even though I know the correct plugin has been installed.

I'm now starting to think that perhaps these specific R3D files are not supported by the plugin version I need for Avid 8.5.2. Perhaps it is time to upgrade :/

I'm currently trying to export the files as MXF files from Redcine-X, but that isn't working either - the transcode usually stops at 43% for some reason.

Any more suggestions? I'll try anything at this point!

Thanks,

Nele

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 27, 2020 at 6:22:07 pm

Did you check to make sure there were no illegal characters anywhere in the link path like a folder somewhere that uses a / for a date?

Michael

Return to posts index

Nele Mertens
on Jul 27, 2020 at 6:28:14 pm

Hi,

Yes, I've checked the file path and it seemed fine - but to make sure that wasn't an issue, I've copied an RDC folder to the root of the drive, and that didn't work either.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 27, 2020 at 6:52:21 pm

It's strange that Redcine X Pro did not complete the transcode and makes me wonder if there is something wrong with this file. Do all the files behave this same way?

Michael

Return to posts index

Nele Mertens
on Jul 27, 2020 at 7:36:21 pm

Yes, only the very short files finish exporting, all the big ones just stop around 30%.

At the moment I'm exporting again, having changed the Debayer settings from Full to 1/8th, and not only does that speed up the process of exporting dramatically, the exports also don't seem to stall anymore.

It's not ideal, but at least I will be able to start editing some time tomorrow!

Still strange that I can't AMA-link, that would make everything (including the online) so much easier!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 27, 2020 at 7:50:35 pm

for editorial only, I tend to do 1/2 good or 1/2 - as you noticed it's faster and you'll have plenty of resolution to make editing decisions -

Michael

Return to posts index

Nele Mertens
on Jul 27, 2020 at 9:55:38 pm

I can't believe it, Redcine-X crashed.. The universe seems against me ever editing this project XD

The software is REDCINE-X PRO 52, I downloaded it from the Red website today - should I be using something else?

Most of the advice I've found online said I should transcode to Avid DNx36 - however that's not an option, after selecting 'Avid AAF&MXF' I can only choose between LB, SQ, HQ and HQX.

Return to posts index

Nele Mertens
on Jul 27, 2020 at 10:06:22 pm

Actually, looks like I've run out of space (facepalm) - rookie mistake!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]