AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

How To Sync Audio and Video Clips one by one Using Avid Media Composer 6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
laura jones
How To Sync Audio and Video Clips one by one Using Avid Media Composer 6
on Jul 24, 2020 at 1:39:49 pm

Hi Everyone
im editing a project using Avid Media Composer 6 and want to know How to sync my audio and video clips one by one using the software. Here's what i've done so far after digitalising the footage and choosing what scenes to edit, i separated the audio and video clips and marked the clapperboards in the video clips and the audio clips ive labelled each clip and want to know how to sync the audio and video clips so that they are both moving together when you press play and the sound does not come before the image or the image does not come before the sound. Ive also tried to auto sync the footage several times but when the clip is played there is only a few seconds of audio and the image cannot be seen. I want to Sync the clips one by one without using autosync but dont know how to do it. Would be grateful if anyone can help?

Thanks
Laura Jones

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: How To Sync Audio and Video Clips one by one Using Avid Media Composer 6
on Jul 24, 2020 at 4:05:27 pm

MC 6 and and auto sync? Not sure if there was for wave based only timecode.
I know I've done the 3/4 perf by hand and save it as subclips.

Return to posts index

laura jones
on Jul 24, 2020 at 11:01:54 pm

Thank you for replying to my question Eric What is the 3/4 perf ? and how can i do it in Avid Media Composer 6?

Laura

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jul 24, 2020 at 6:07:38 pm

You mention not wanting to use AutoSync, but that feature in MC covers many syncing options, including syncing by In points, which is what you appear to have prepared.

Return to posts index

laura jones
on Jul 24, 2020 at 10:55:03 pm

Thank you for replying to my question Job, How do I Sync clips by in points using Avid Media Composer 6?

Laura

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 25, 2020 at 9:08:14 am

Auto sync can be done on a clip by clip basis. We'll you need 2 clips selected of course. The video and audio. The relationship of the timing is set by the Timecode or an in point you set on each clapper.
Then you get a new clip that is the video and audio together.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 26, 2020 at 1:28:53 pm

You will use the AutoSync process although it won't be automatic. As others have mentioned you have already identified the common "sync" point via a Mark In point. All clips have to be in the same bin in order to work. Based on your naming convention, sorting on the "name" column will pair the clips together in ascending order.

• Highlight any pair of clips to sync
  • select "Autosync
  • Select options (Mark in), and whether you want to keep any audio that might exist on video, and what tracks you want to keep from the audio-only clip from the audio-only clip. This depends on your workflow preferences.
  • Click OK
  • A new subclip with video clip name + .sync will appear in the bin

Others have references subframe syncing. This is the ability to tighten the sync in 1/4 frame increments and is referred to as perf based syncing. But you need to be in a 35mm film project and all audio needs to be imported, not linked for this to work.

In other project types you can slip sync via source settings but is tedious and has some limitations.

Michael

Return to posts index

laura jones
on Jul 29, 2020 at 11:55:39 am

Hi Micheal
Thank you for responding to my qustion the steps that you have mentioned ive already done that several times, and when i go to play the clip once its been auto synced the clip only plays a few seconds of audio and the image cannot be seen . I want to sync the clips one by one without using auto sync but dont know how to do it. would be grateful if you could help me please?

Laura

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 29, 2020 at 12:14:28 pm

Do the clips play all the way through before syncing them? AutoSync doesn't prevent a clip from playing if the original clips also play.

Michael

Return to posts index

laura jones
on Jul 29, 2020 at 12:29:15 pm

Hi Michael
Yes the original clips( both audio and video ) play all the way through before i synced them.

Laura

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 29, 2020 at 12:34:30 pm

The only other way to do it is to:

• AutoSequence the video source clip. This creates a sequence with the same timecode as the source video.
  • Edit your audio to be in sync

You can stop here and use sequences as the source, but that you lose some functionality such as sync break indicators and ease of use as you have to drag and drop sequences into a source monitor, not double click.

If you want to regain that functionality, with the sequence still in the record monitor:

• Mark In and Out so that the all tracks have media (no Avid timeline black between the marks on any track)
  • Subclip that range out into a bin
  • Rename as needed
  • Select sequence(s) and select AutoSync
  • Results in a subclip that is in sync and will behave like other source clips - basically the same end result as AutoSync.

Neither of these guarantee playback of the original sources clips won't play to start with. You may want to transcode to an Avid friendly native format like DNxHD/HR first and ensure your drives and drive connection are fast enough to support whichever data rate you are creating.

Michael

Return to posts index

laura jones
on Jul 29, 2020 at 5:55:31 pm

ive tried what you suggusted and it still did not work it kept playing the audio only.

Laura

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 29, 2020 at 6:10:29 pm

You've transcode the clips. They play OK but when you sync them they nolonger play?

Pat Horridge
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:53:19 pm

Test 1: edit source video clip into its own timeline. Does it play all the way through?
Test 2. edit audio source clip into its own timeline. Does it play all the way through?

If yes to both, it's only when these two clips are combined into a single timeline and both are playing at the same time that you get no video and only audio?

Michael

Return to posts index

laura jones
on Jul 31, 2020 at 8:50:06 am

Yes that is correct Michael when i play the video clip in its own timeline it plays all the way through and when i play the audio clip in its own timeline it also plays all the way through it is only when i combine the two (when the clips are auto synced) that there is no video and only a few seconds of audio once the clips have been autoscyned.

Laura

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 31, 2020 at 11:18:27 am

Can you WeTransfer or uoad somewhere a short video and audio clip so people can't test on their systems?

Pat Horridge
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 31, 2020 at 12:52:12 pm

Then I would open a support case with Avid on this one.

Michael

Return to posts index

laura jones
on Aug 5, 2020 at 10:35:41 am

Thanks for the advice Michael

Laura

Return to posts index

laura jones
on Aug 4, 2020 at 1:29:31 pm

Yes that is correct Pat only a few seconds of the audio plays there is also no image when the clip is played after it has been synced

Laura

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 5, 2020 at 2:53:30 pm

It sounds to me like the clips are not syncing maybe the common spot,( time code, in point, what ever you used) was incorrect, so the audio is not lining up with the video...so it is playing back a section before or after the video.

As pat said, posting a sample might be the fastest way to make sure we are all on the same page.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 5, 2020 at 3:34:57 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "It sounds to me like the clips are not syncing maybe the common spot,( time code, in point, what ever you used) was incorrect, so the audio is not lining up with the video...so it is playing back a section before or after the video."

That has happened way too many times in Avid for me.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 5, 2020 at 8:32:27 pm

When using AutoSync, there is no blank media as part of the video or audio tracks as it always makes a subclip that is the shortest span common to both (unlike a group clip).

Certainly sharing one V+A camera original with audio to look into would help get to the bottom of the issue.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]