AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Exception: cannot access the AMA media stream plug in to play this clip

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto Veloso
Exception: cannot access the AMA media stream plug in to play this clip
on May 24, 2020 at 3:40:47 pm

Hello! I'm a newbie to Avid Media Composer First, and I just recently upgraded my software to 2020.4 from 2019.12 (on Mac). When I did, however, I learned that two project files I started in the previous software don't work right any more. I get the message "Exception: cannot access the AMA media stream plug in to play this clip." What's strange is that if I re-import the footage, I can play it just fine, but the new footage doesn't link up to the clips in the timeline, so I would lose all my cuts ☹ Has anyone encountered this before? Any advice?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Exception: cannot access the AMA media stream plug in to play this clip
on May 24, 2020 at 8:41:32 pm

2020.4 introduced the QuickTime AMA replacement from earlier versions. Your media is still using the old plug-in and as you've noticed you can relink again in with the new new. You will have to relink all your media and do a "relink to selected". There may be other methods but that is always my fallback/failsafe method. Highlight all your clips, then your sequence, right-click sequence, choose "relink to selected" and from there I would suggest looking for tutorials on relinking via good ol' Google.

Michael

Return to posts index

Alberto Veloso
on May 25, 2020 at 1:18:11 am

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the reply, and your help. The QuickTime AMA replacement plug-in makes perfect sense as to the root of the problem, which is causing me more than a few grey hairs! In researching the problem, I did see some recommendations to relink the media, and that makes the most sense to me, but maybe because I'm a newbie, I can't quite seem to figure out how to do it. For example, when I did the steps you suggested (select clips, select sequence, right click), I do see a "Link files" option, but it's greyed out and un-chooseable. I haven't seen a "relink to selection" option. Could you explain a little bit more how you do it?

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Alberto

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 25, 2020 at 1:39:54 am

The "relink to selected" is a subset of option in the "Relink" selection when right-clocking.

MIchael

Return to posts index

Alberto Veloso
on May 28, 2020 at 12:49:08 am

Hi Michael,

Still can't seem to get to that menu ; / The "Relink files" button is always greyed out, but I'm sure that's what I have to do and I'll keep working on it till I figure it out.

Thanks for all your help!
Alberto

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 28, 2020 at 2:23:24 pm

You are looking for the "Relink" command. "Relink to Selected" is inside the dialogue window once opened:

1. Highlight all the new master clips
2. Highlight the sequence
3. right-click on sequence
4. Select "Relink"

Maybe try this?

Michael

Return to posts index

Alberto Veloso
on May 29, 2020 at 3:28:44 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the video! I can across it before and a few others about relinking, but the weird thing is that I don't seem to have the same "Relink" button this video and the others have. It's totally missing! You can see here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/03sywxp7svgbhzt/Relink%20Button%20Missing.png?dl=...

It should be right about "Modify" but it's not there. I do have "Relink to files", but that is always greyed out. What's worse, I've been googling the "missing Relink button" and no one else seems to have that problem. It's a strangle little mystery :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]