AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Issue AAF file CM OFFSET

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Hugo Castrique
Issue AAF file CM OFFSET
on May 21, 2020 at 9:49:25 am

Hello everybody,

I'm currently working on a group project and I have to share my work with my editing students' mates. One of them is using Premiere and I use AVID.

When she sends me her sequence in AAF I can't open it in Avid, and I don't know why. I get this message :

Exception: CM_OFFSET_OUT_OF_RANGE, offset:914428, range:6743

Do you know where does it come from ? And how I can fix that ?

Thank you in advanhce for your help !

(PS: please use simple words if possible, I am not english-speaking :D)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Issue AAF file CM OFFSET
on May 21, 2020 at 3:31:35 pm

While we would all love for a single universal interchange format to exist between all applications used in Media & Entertainment, it is most likely a utopia that will never be achieved.

That being said, each vendor as their own internal format optimized for their needs. Then there are the specifications for each vendor and interchange format itself - XML, AAF, etc. All of these are open to interpretation which leads to interop issues.

I find that video + Audio AAF causes the most problems, especially with double system workflows. Many users find that exporting an XML from Premiere to Resolve first, then letting Resolve export an AAF for Media Composer is better than a direct AAF between the two. I have found in the past the CM_Offset is usually audio related.

Also, depending on everyone's support, be it XML or AAF, things are lossy. Meaning not everything is described - once you get beyond cuts, fades, dissolves, supers, motion FX, resize, etc. things get dicey or not supported at all.

I would suggest trying a V only XML out of PPro to Resolve then an AAF there to Media Composer as a start to see what will be successful.

Michael

Return to posts index

Hugo Castrique
on May 21, 2020 at 3:42:04 pm

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your answer, I've already heard of that process but I was praying for an easier way to do the transfer..

Nevermind, thank you again !

Hugo

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 21, 2020 at 3:44:47 pm

a lot of people have been praying... ☺

Try separating V from A as a test and send as two different files, then combine them in MC.

Michael

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]