AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Remapping Ctrl-Alt-K/L (Cmd-Opt-K/L)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron DeMarse
Remapping Ctrl-Alt-K/L (Cmd-Opt-K/L)
on Apr 22, 2020 at 1:15:39 pm

This feels like it should be an easy solution, but I'm stumped:

I've always used the Ctrl-Alt-K/L shortcuts to shrink and enlarge my waveforms. But my current workstation has those keys mapped elsewhere at the system level, so I can't use them.

No big deal - I'll just access those commands from a menu or remap them to new Avid shortcuts.

Unfortunately, I can't find them anywhere. Where do those commands – shrinking and enlarging waveforms – exist outside of the default keyboard shortcuts?

And in the inexplicable event that they don't exist anywhere, does anyone know a clever workaround? (Outside of fixing my system-level shortcuts, which are impossible.)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Remapping Ctrl-Alt-K/L (Cmd-Opt-K/L)
on Apr 25, 2020 at 12:29:14 pm

I don't think there is any other way, but to be sure, I've asked someone more likely to know this for sure.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 25, 2020 at 2:30:56 pm

Not sure it would work, but there are programs like x-mouse and USB Overdrive that allow you to map key commands from specific programs to mouse buttons, or roller actions.

A stream deck might also work for you to transfer those commands to a panel.

Curious as to what is different about your new system. I'm assuming you are still running the same os
and software as your old system?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ron DeMarse
on Apr 25, 2020 at 6:40:11 pm

Thanks for the replies.

To Glenn's question - this is a recent install on a new system and OS.

It's strange, isn't it, that this functionality doesn't exist anywhere else in the software? Not in a menu or submenu or context-click or anything? It's only a keyboard shortcut, and one that is impossible to change?

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 25, 2020 at 8:58:47 pm

From Jeffrey Lomicka from Avid:

“Yes.

Waveform size is the Option/Ctrl modify key variant of “Enlarge Track”, “Reduce Track”. You can use Menu To Button assignment to put this on a UI button or any keyboard key. Although it can be tricky because the timeline has to be active for the menu item to be selectable. However, you still need to hold down the Option modifier key.

The normal assignment of Command-K and Command-L is just the keyboard shortcut from the Edit menu. You can also hold the option key when making the menu pick.“

Return to posts index

Ron DeMarse
on Apr 25, 2020 at 9:32:07 pm

Brilliant! Thank you!

It never occurred to me that the waveform shortcuts were really just modifiers of the track shrink/enlarge commands (as opposed to standalone commands).

This worked perfectly. Mapping Enlarge Track or Reduce Track to a key or button and then adding the Alt/Opt key did the trick.

I really appreciate the help!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]