AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Best Performance setting - UltraStudio 4k

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Hensen
Best Performance setting - UltraStudio 4k
on Apr 15, 2020 at 6:39:38 pm

Noticing that while my IO is in use, HW/SW toggled on, I do not have access to 1/16 (Best Performance) setting in my timeline.

Once I toggle off the IO, it shows up as accessible and can work in 1/16.

Any ideas as to why this might be and any workarounds to suggest?

Is there a setting we should modify in BM Desktop Video Setup?

Running MC 2018.9 on a MP trash can connected to BM ultrastudio 4k.

Also as an aside we are having to resort to using 1/16 due to our remote sequences being a bit more involved than our usual sequences - has all of our grpahic elements baked into line cut - all GFX/Mattes are out in the open now which is causing some performance hiccups. Is there anything in Video Display Settings that I can alter? Any setting on the OS?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best Performance setting - UltraStudio 4k
on Apr 15, 2020 at 8:27:50 pm

You can't get full yellow (best performance) when you have ANY hardware on the system...not just BMD hardware. Avid hardware, AJA...doesn't matter. If HW is activated, that option isn't available.

WHY? No clue...not an engineer or coder. It's just the way things are. I'm sure there's a very valid reasons, like it would look like poop on the external monitor, or it takes too many system resources to do that while HW is on, or something.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jon Hensen
on Apr 15, 2020 at 9:26:34 pm

Fascinating - well that's too bad. Thanks for the info, Shane!

While I have you, do you have any tips for a crew that is used to working in a PC environment - now forced into using MACs during this remote work period? The reason I was wondering about best performance is because our sequences are getting a bit bogged down with all the extra elements we have to use without working off of a line cut - had an editor start beach balling on occasion - wondering if there is anything we can tweak in the OS or in AVID settings.

They are working on 2013 trash cans, 64gb ram, 12 core xeons, yadayada.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 16, 2020 at 1:38:17 am

Not sure what to suggest. I'm a Mac editor forced to work in a PC environment due to needing to log into a station remotely. Biggest issue with me is modifer key muscle memory.

Not sure what to do about your sequences beach balling, as I said, I'm usually on a Mac and don't have those issues...unless I do a heavily effected shot or sequence. Nothing is really modified to optimze anything/

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]