Avid Mixed Frame rated project missing media when round tripping to Davinci

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Ofir Marzouk Roewekamp
Avid Mixed Frame rated project missing media when round tripping to Davinci
on Mar 20, 2020 at 8:00:08 pm
Last Edited By Ofir Marzouk Roewekamp on Mar 20, 2020 at 11:51:16 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've seen many discussions about round tripping between Avid and Davinci, but haven't found a solution for my following problem:

I'm Editing a project on AVID MC 18.12.10

Project 1 - 24fps timeline - is the main project
Project 2 - 60fps timeline - for the purpose of slowing down some of the footage that was shot in 60fps.

After slowing down the 60fps transcoded media in project 2 I have copied the Master clips and the Linked media to Project 1 so I can work on the 24fps Timeline.

When done editing, I have Relinked the media to all "selected items in the open Bins" (Those copied bins from Project 2 that are now in project 1) and exported an AAF file.

When imported to Davinci Resolve (latest version) the program cannot find the slow motion files - those 60fps files.

Now, Even though I have copied the entire Linked and Trasncoded 60fps bin to my 24fps project, then Relinked it all davinci cannot find those clips.

When I used "Link to source camera files" import settings in Davinci it didn't find all of the 7clips of 60fps that I used in that timeline and when I didn't use "Link to source camera files" it didn't find only 3 clips of 60fps - how strange that is?

I hope someone here can understand what I'm talking about.. and I will very much appreciate any help.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid Mixed Frame rated project missing media when round tripping to Davinci
on Mar 21, 2020 at 3:30:44 pm

Did you add the MXF files from the Avid/MediaFiles folder structure to the Media Pool in DaVinci?

Michael

Return to posts index

Ofir Marzouk Roewekamp
on Mar 21, 2020 at 10:32:30 pm

Hi Michael

Yes, in one of the attempts I have first imported all related Media to Davinci Media pool and still, it did not recognize the 60fps clips.

In my case, the media is Relinked to the original camera files.
1st I Relinked in Avid then exported the AAF file and then chose the "Link to camera files" in Davinci AAF import settings.

Ofir

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 22, 2020 at 1:46:41 pm

Seems to me you might be better off just linking to the 60fps material in your 24fps timeline to start and making the edits that way. Or at least something to try in a quick test. Make the slow down either on the timeline with the motion effect editor, or via the source settings to payback frame for frame to match project rate.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 22, 2020 at 3:14:33 pm

I just did a test:
1. 48.000 fps native clip. Recorded and playback metadata as 48.000 fps.
2. AMA Linked into a 23.976p project and timeline
3. Edited the 48.000 fps clip into a sequence, set the motion effect to be 100% playback (resulting in 23.976 playback) and exported an AAF.
4. I also took the same clip and vide source settings set it to be project rate (from 48.000fps to 23.976fps). This changes the master clip to now be slomo at 23.976. Edit that into a sequence and exported an AAF

In both cases, the AAF conform in DaVinci Resolve linked to the camera master file (48.000 fps) and resulted in the proper slow-motion playback as expected.

With newer versions of Media Composer there is no longer the need to open clips in a their native frame rate project. Also, I am unclear as to what you might have done in that 60fps projects when you say: "After slowing down the 60fps transcoded media in project 2 I have copied the Master clips" Whatever happened here may have broken any kind of link to the original camera master.

Motion Effect Method:

Source Settings Method:

Michael

Return to posts index

Ofir Marzouk Roewekamp
on Mar 23, 2020 at 8:41:53 pm

Thanks a lot Micheal.

It did work with the Source setting > Playback Rates.

I've changes the 60fps to 24fps in the source setting and that way could have the slomo on the correct project's Timeline.

Exporting an AAF to Davinci worked too, and all media was found.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 24, 2020 at 1:33:46 pm

Great! There's a lot of legacy workaround practices still in place that does not behoove the newer workflows in more recent versions of Media Composer. Avid has not updated its detailed workflow guide since before there were greater than HD project sizes but would be quite helpful.

Michael

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]