AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX100 Footage

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Young
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX100 Footage
on Feb 24, 2020 at 8:26:28 pm
Last Edited By Tim Young on Feb 24, 2020 at 10:24:26 pm

I have shot some footage on a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX100 camera (AVCHD FHD 24M 25P) which I would like to take in to Avid MC 2019.7. I have copied the contents of the LUMIX SD card to my external HD. There is a DCIM folder, a MISC folder and a (large) PRIVATE folder, which I assume contains the video footage. What do I need to do to get that footage into the AVID. I've been lucky to have assistants/MCR to do this for me in the past, but this is a "homer" project, and I'm learning some new skills!

Do I need a 3rd party piece of software? Toast? Handbrake or similar? Which is the best one to go for and what settings do I need to use to get the best out of the footage?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Tim Young

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX100 Footage
on Feb 24, 2020 at 10:44:00 pm

Open the SOURCE BROWSER. Navigate to the PRIVATE folder. Select it, and choose LINK.

Then transcode that footage to an Avid codec.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tim Young
on Feb 24, 2020 at 11:39:00 pm

Thank you, Shane.

I got there, and have the footage in. Now to get the TASCAM audio in and sync that up!

But that's a job for tomorrow!

Tim Young

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 25, 2020 at 1:16:43 pm

Seeing as there was no time of day timecode used, you will most likely be using AutoSync with Waveform. You can't select all your day's dailies and do that, you will need to select each pair of V+A files, then AutoSync with Waveform. You should be fine.

Michael

Return to posts index

Tim Young
on Feb 25, 2020 at 7:33:28 pm

I appreciate that I am using a consumer camera for this project. What camera do I have to go to in order to get TOD timecode? Would a GH5 do that? Or am I better looking at a Sony A7 IIs????

Tim Young

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 25, 2020 at 7:39:29 pm

If audio waveform sync works for you, the camera makes beautiful images - so no real rush to change cameras if I were you. I was just giving you a heads up as to how to sync your double system audio workflow as I'm assuming your audio files do not have TOD either. In order to do timecode sync, both devices need to be able to jam to a timecode source or you are recording LTC to each of the device's audio track as sync reference using something like Tentacle Systems.

Michael

Return to posts index

Tim Young
on Feb 25, 2020 at 7:47:22 pm

The Tascam audio is TOD and I tried to remember to do sync claps and also tried to film my watch at regular intervals to keep me right. I’ve had to deal with too many hours of multi-camera footage and audio with unsynced timecode not to think that timecode is really quite important!!!! Preaching to the converted, I’m sure. ;-)

Tim Young

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 25, 2020 at 10:50:39 pm

Timecode is the way to go if you can manage it! If using this camera, you would need the one LTC device recording to the camera after having been synced to the TC output of the TASCAM.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]