AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

A serious error has occurred during an import of large files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Juig
A serious error has occurred during an import of large files
on Dec 18, 2019 at 7:55:01 am

Hello,

I have just bought a new computer and I've been getting an error in AMC that I didn't use to get on my old laptop.

I'm trying to import several 20 minutes long PRORES 4444 files and transcode then to DNxHD 185x during the import process. I am using the regular import method and haven't tried AMA transcode with these clips, because I really want the classic import to work.

When I try importing the clips, I get an error "Exception: A serious error has occurred! It is recommended that you restart the application immediately." As I said, on the old computer I could import the very same clips with the classic import without any problem.

I have Avid perpetual license and I have tried doing this on versions 2018.11 and 2018.12.3. I had this error with both versions, but haven't had problems with these versions on old computer.

I am using Windows 10 pro and my computer specs are:

- i9-9900k
- 64gb of DDR4 RAM
- GeForce RTX 2080 8gb

I've tried importing to an external HDD and to an internal HDD and internal HDD that I use specifically for Avid MediaFiles.

I don't get this error when importing shorter/smaller files and everything else within Avid seems to be working flawlessly so far. What could be causing the error?

Best regards,

Juan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: A serious error has occurred during an import of large files
on Dec 18, 2019 at 9:02:43 pm

[Juan Juig] "I'm trying to import several 20 minutes long PRORES 4444 files and transcode then to DNxHD 185x during the import process. I am using the regular import method and haven't tried AMA transcode with these clips, because I really want the classic import to work."

You are going to have to learn the new way, as it really is the Avid PREFERRED way to do things. It's what it basis most of the workflows on. Classic Import isn't as good, nor robust, as you are seeing. Avid changed things to make things work better. So, gotta learn the new way.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Juan Juig
on Dec 18, 2019 at 10:46:01 pm

Thank you for the reply. I tried transcoding with Source Browser now and it seems it worked. So you are saying that transcoding this way is always more reliable? Why is the classic import function so unstable?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 19, 2019 at 12:28:13 am

[Juan Juig] "So you are saying that transcoding this way is always more reliable?"

Yes. Far more.

[Juan Juig] "Why is the classic import function so unstable?"

Because Avid is moving away from that, and focusing on this method moving forward. This method retains more metadata, and can better deal with multiple format types. Tech advances mean new ways of doing things.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Juan Juig
on Dec 19, 2019 at 1:01:10 am

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. In what way could you notice an error with the classic import, besides Avid specifically telling you that (like in my case)? Is it safe to assume, that if you get no error message during the import, the import has been truly successful and that all the information in an individual video file have been preserved?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 19, 2019 at 8:09:26 pm

Source Browser linking and importing preserves much of the camera metadata...more than the source name and timecode. MUCH more. There is a lot of camera data embedded that it saves, and if you choose the proper columns, you can see it. SO it makes relinking to it later much easier. Importing retains very little information, and you can only batch-import to bring in at higher resolution, and you might get wrong clips do to repeated clip names and timecodes that many cameras create.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Dec 19, 2019 at 7:29:02 am

Classic or I call it legacy import is a hang over from before AMA linking. Imported files don't conform as well as linked files and as Shane said AMA linking is continually evolving and improving. Legacy import hasn't changed in 15 years.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]