AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Newbie not newbie getting back into MC

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Kenneth Maultsby
Newbie not newbie getting back into MC
on Sep 4, 2019 at 10:41:24 pm

Hello all after using other Editing systems on and off I am returning back to MC. The reason is after transcoding I am not experiencing any issues with media have files going offline etc. MC is just stable.

I am just a hobbyist, but I love to edit and shoot video. I just purchased my first 4K camcorder the Canon Vixia GX10 UHD 4K and shot my first 4k event a few weeks ago. It was an Air Show shot at 3840x2160 @ 59.94. I have just started editing in MC 2019.7. I link the media and created subclips. Will transcode in DNXHR.
I have some questions coming from other editing software on workflow and task to see if I can do it in MC.

1. I do a lot of vacation videos that also have a lot of stills. For example, in the middle of a video on the timeline I want to place ten stills on the timeline, and I want to add a cross dissolve between each one, how can add a cross dissolve in between them all at once instead of each transition one at a time?

2. This is an addon to question one. How can I add pan and zoon on multiple clips at the same time?

3. I see a lot user not using MC color correction tools and using something DiVinci Resolve. What is the matter with MC color corrections tools?

4. I know this may be a little early until I get more familiar with the software a little more experience but can some explain the difference between Total FX vs Boris continuum why you prefer one over the other?
Feel free to link to any tutorials or books. I also would love any keyboard short cuts anyone is willing to share.

OS Windows 10 CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.70 GHz
Memory 32 gb
Hard drives C: SSD OS and Programs
F: 2 TB Documents and other programs
G: Drobo 6TB photos and videos
H: SSD 500 gb Cache drive
I: RockStor Raid 0 1x4 TB

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Newbie not newbie getting back into MC
on Sep 5, 2019 at 12:08:36 am

1. Avid is not good with stills in the timeline. It's still just as bad as it was many years ago. Well, a little better. Before you had ZERO tools for doing moves on stills, you had to rely on the third party app, Moving Picture. Now at least there's a built in option, Avid Pan & Zoom, but it's still as convoluted as ever. You need to import the still, which makes it Avid media, but IT'S NO LONGER FULL RES! It's the res of the project. So you need to drop it on the timeline, add the Pan & Zoom plugin, go into effects mode, click on the IMPORT IMAGE button, navigate to the still on your hard drive. Then get out of tARGET MODE to SOURCE MODE, and use the tools in the app to do your move. But no rotation, it doesn't allow for rotation.

FOR EVERY STILL! Every one. It's completely backwards, time consuming. PPro is better suited, as is Resolve.

2. By adding Pan and Zoom to multiple at the same time, what do you mean, exactly? Video wall of stills? Not sure what you ask. Avid is BAD BAD BAD at dealing with stills. It'll take a LONG time to do anything, especially if you want multiple on the screen at one time.

3. Avid's CC tools are very limited. Touchy. You can't push things much, or do a lot of subtle work. Resolve is better than Avid by 3000%. It's OK to ONLINE with, do simple color corrections, but not pushing things much. It lacks good control.

4. Never heard of total effects. I have Boris at home. But note, it's over $1000 for BCC. Total FX is $800, so cheaper. But I'm not familiar with it at all to compare.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kenneth Maultsby
on Sep 5, 2019 at 1:51:28 am

Thanks Shane,
I will stick to video projects only for MC. No slide shows. Come on Avid if you want the regular guy to purchase your product you need to add some the regular guy futures. ☺ Number 4 It is NewBlu which I guest you get everything titling composite transitions pack.

OS Windows 10 CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.70 GHz
Memory 32 gb
Hard drives C: SSD OS and Programs
F: 2 TB Documents and other programs
G: Drobo 6TB photos and videos
H: SSD 500 gb Cache drive
I: RockStor Raid 0 1x4 TB

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 5, 2019 at 2:20:04 am

It's ALL about the right tool for the right job. Avid isn't suited for this as much as Premiere/FCX/Resolve are. But then when it comes to cutting features, tracking footage, offline online workflows, huge shared project workflows, it great. But no, it's not the solution to everything. I have several editing apps for this reason.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 5, 2019 at 1:05:00 pm

[Kenneth Maultsby] " Number 4 It is NewBlu which I guest you get everything titling composite transitions pack."

Past main editor wanted that title tool so bad he didnt mind paying over 2K (CAD) for it :P
Its a POS but then Im from the AE world.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]